Quick Question: Best tube for DarkVoice 332?
Jul 8, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 18
Both excellent tubes. The TUNG-SOL/SVETLANA combo is a favourite of some over on the 332 thread, including GRADOFAN. The SVETLANA 6S19P is my favourite tube, more tube-like in its character than the ULYANOVSK 6S19P. My favourite tube to match the richness of the SVETLANA is the WESTERN ELECTRIC 403B: it cannot be equalled for its clarity, although its bass is not the deepest.

At the end of the day, your own ears will tell you what is best. Experiment and you will find your perfect combo.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 18
Second Godkin's excellent advice.

For power tubes, I have tried the Sylvania 6AK5WB's, Mullard M8100's, Ericsson 6AK5's, Ericsson 403B's, Western Electric 403B's. In my ears, the Mullards and the Ericsson 403B's come out on top of the others by a clear margin.

It might be my pair, and I know many others like them, but I find the WE403B's to be colored, and a little light and undefined in the bass. The Ericsson 403B's have most clarity of the bunch, and the M8100's have most punch in the bass, with a tad bit more lush sound.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info.
I am going to buy TUNG-SOL/SVETLANA/Western Electric 403B and Mullard M8100 to have some fun.

You'll love 'em...

The Tung Sols have a very solid, dynamic sound with great bass, and good mids and highs.

The Mullard also have good bass, and great mids, and good highs - sound a bit like the Tung Sols.

Two of my favs.

Never tried the 403Bs - though I've almost ordered them several times.

You may also want to try the RCA's - sound a lot like the Mullards to me.

And... the Sylvanias

But... the ones you've ordered are pretty much the "top of the heap" - you can sort out which 403Bs you like best.

Though, as I noted elsewhere... I have a "heck of a time" trying to discern the differences between the ones I've tried - there just doesn't seem to me to be a huge difference in their sound.

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 18
I have a really newbie question:
Western Electric 403B,Mullard M8100,5654 TUNG-SOL are actually same tube - I mean they are sitting in same slot and
6S19P SVETLANA is another one, right?

Also I can not find Svetlana 6S19P-EV,so what the difference between -EV and no "ev"?

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

I have a really newbie question:
Western Electric 403B,Mullard M8100,5654 TUNG-SOL are actually same tube - I mean they are sitting in same slot and
6S19P SVETLANA is another one, right?

Also I can not find Svetlana 6S19P-EV,so what the difference between -EV and no "ev"?

Yes...

The EV/EB version is the "ruggedized" / military version - more durable, but likely won't make any significant difference in the sound.

Though... if you email some of the Russian tube vendors you will likely find them.

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by haitink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw some we 403a at Antique Electronic Supply Antique Electronic Supply.

But it seems they don't do matching on these tubes. Do these tubes have to be matched?

I think so.
BTW: I just found out the 332 get pretty hot after 3 hours running. my hand still can touch it but it is pretty hot. Is it normal?

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 18
Yeah, The 332 runs pretty warm / Hot. If you have a spare hour have a run through the 150+ page 332 thread, every thing you need to know is there.

As for tubes my current favourite is the Svets + Ericson 403b, but its great fun experimenting with different one's.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

I think so.
BTW: I just found out the 332 get pretty hot after 3 hours running. my hand still can touch it but it is pretty hot. Is it normal?

Yes... but... I decided to cool mine down to extend the life of the components. Look for my post about 6/20, or so.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

I think so.

Yes... but... I decided to cool mine down to extend the life of the components. Look for my post about 6/20, or so, in the other DV332 thread.

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 18
Thanks. I will reading that super long thread. Man , it is so long
eek.gif

Another newbie q:
How to remove the old tube and install new one? I mean the operation. Screw or just something like push and pop out?
Also how about this one:
6AK5W - 5654 - 6ZH1P-EV Tubes. Set of 4 - (eBay.ca item 290243858484 end time 05-Aug-08 14:50:37 EDT)
Thanks.

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back