quick question about the Sennheiser HD 598, 558 size?
Jul 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

phoenix777

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

just recently purchased the beyer DT 770 Pro, been testing it for a week and I can't get used to the feel of having it on my head.
I think it's partially due to my large ears... the top and bottom of the cup ridge is pressing against it, making it pretty uncomfortable for extended wear, thinking about trying out another headphones. 

I looked at the Senheiser HD 598, it looks like it has a taller vertical cup size and people praised it for it's comfort. What do you owners think? Can someone please give me a measurement of the vertical cup length on the HD 598? (looks like its the same size as 558, is it worth it to get the 598 over 558?)

thanks!

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 5
For the best value, get some used HD558s, sometimes the used ones sell for just over $100 on Amazon or eBay.
And then remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558s.
May not be an equal to the 598, but for the price difference the HD558s should get fairly close.

The HD558 and HD598 have slightly different cup designs, but use the same driver.

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
For the best value, get some used HD558s, sometimes the used ones sell for just over $100 on Amazon or eBay.
And then remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558s.
May not be an equal to the 598, but for the price difference the HD558s should get fairly close.

The HD558 and HD598 have slightly different cup designs, but use the same driver.

any chance you can measure your 558? I just need the inside vertical length of the ear cup

thanks!

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Any chance you can measure your 558? I just need the inside vertical length of the ear cup
thanks!

Have to find my tape measure, it's hiding in a box somewhere.

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 5
Hello Phoenix777,

l took these two pictures for you (for some reason l can't attach them). 

l own both DT770 and HD558. lMO, the DT770 are more confortable, but l have to say the HD558 are very comfortable, too. To me, the main difference is that the DT770 has a wider earcup in which my ear feels more 'free'... whereas in the HD558, l feel my ears more tight (never feeling uncomfortable, in any case).

I measured my head/ears once for a review, in case it helps you (sorry it's in cms):

[size=small]Ears:[/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]- Lenght (taken the longest possible point): 6cms both ears[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]- Width (taken the widest possible point)-> left ear: 4.2cms / right ear: 4cms[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Head:[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]- Diameter: 57cms[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]- 'From the hole of my left ear to the hole of my right ear': 39 cms[/size]

[size=small]Comfort is subjective, but l am very happy with both headphones' comfort level.[/size]

[size=small]Hope it helps [/size]
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back