QUICK question about testing my Bithead
Dec 2, 2006 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

scottymac

Head-Fier
ok so i got my bithead yesterday. pretty dissapointed, but im still testing it out

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...86#post2526686

anyways, right now i'm testing it on my portable. i think i am noticing a difference... but, i need to switch it as fast as possible between having the amp on or just plugging the headphones directly in. will my headphones really be damaged if i plug them into a turned on/powered amp? it kind of answered it on the headphone.com site, but i just want to make sure with what you guys think

11.Q. Will I damage my amp or headphones if I plug them in with the volume up?

A. Yes, possibly! The BitHead is a miniature power amp, and is quite capable of blowing its miniature self up if it has to drive the short circuit of not-fully-inserted headphones. Please be careful to have the unit off, or the volume fully down, and see that the plug is fully inserted when connecting headphones to the amp.

is there any other fast way to switch the sound from having the sound going through the amp to just the headphone jack?

Dec 2, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 5
No, your headphone won't get damaged if your amp is on without music coming through. I think what Headroom is trying to get across is if you have you amp turned on without realizing the volume is up, and play the music, it can damage the headphones that way.

I had a Bithead a month ago, but have to give it up. I found the amplification quite subtle and didn't do much of what I needed. The DAC and dual headphone jacks were good features though.

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottymac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think i am noticing a difference... but, i need to switch it as fast as possible

In case you aren't aware already, you should know that comparing audio gear tends to make most people dream up differences that simply aren't there.
What you're writing gives me the impression that you're trying too hard and this is the kind of attitude that is most likely to make you imagine things IMO.

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Try out your gears with ONE track you know from the back to front. Learn really well several spots on that one track. In that way, you don't have to switch gears "as fast as possible", that'll allow you to listen to the whole track, and switch, I find it quite useful and less imaginative, IMHO.

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 5
That's what I do too if the difference is subtle but I still end up imagining things (just less so than with other methods I've tried).

You shouldn't bother with such subtle differences though. If I wanted to learn to appreciate a significant difference (the only kind that would justify keeping such a device around), I would simply listen to it for a long time without switching or worrying about differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back