Quick question about re-cabling.
May 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hakjk

100+ Head-Fier
Considering that two cables are identical except the thickness, is thicker cable gives better performance in sound wise? For example, let us look at Jena 18 and Jena 22. Will Jena 18 gives better sound quality than Jena 22?
Thanks for the help.

May 14, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 9
jena 18 is thicker than jena22 most likely. The higher AWG number you go, the thinner the wire

May 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 9
Lawton Audio uses Jena 22ga because it sounds clearer to them.
But IMO I take the wire that suits the purpose best. 22ga for home use, 24 ~28 for outdoors. 18ga for a headphone recable job is plain insane.

May 14, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 9
My bad...the other way around..
Jena cable is just for an example..
My question is that Is thicker cable gives better performance?..
I'm not saying I'm gona use awg18 cable for my headphone.

May 14, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, that varies I think. Sometimes it leads to better conductivity and thus better SQ, while the other times it can lead to a congested sound where things get muddy.
It's all in the material that is used I guess.

May 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 9
^ And the headphone.

In my experience, the ESW9 hated thicker wires for signal. What worked best was 28awg or 26awg on the signal and doubled on the ground. If you go thicker than that, you will loose some treble clarity and gain even more bass.

May 14, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Hakjk, what headphone are you going to recable?
What Germania just said is pretty true (talking from experience) and there might just be a few people who already did the 'phone you are about to do
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm not recabling any phone right now. May be my k701 or sa5000 later times. I just noticed that aloaudio uses really thick jena 18 wires for most of their headphones. So I was just curious that thicker cable does better job delivering the best quality sound or something else. Usually better speaker cables are thinker than regular speaker cables, so I was thinking that thicker is better but not very convenient to use with headphone. May be not true.

May 15, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 9
I just recabled my k701 with jena 22awg... my main reason was comfort so I did not go the ALO route namely recable with 18 awg
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by hakjk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not recabling any phone right now. May be my k701 or sa5000 later times. I just noticed that aloaudio uses really thick jena 18 wires for most of their headphones. So I was just curious that thicker cable does better job delivering the best quality sound or something else. Usually better speaker cables are thinker than regular speaker cables, so I was thinking that thicker is better but not very convenient to use with headphone. May be not true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back