Quick question about power cable placement
Jan 13, 2004 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

EyEPoD

100+ Head-Fier
Well I just upgraded to a p500 and until I can recover I have to live with my current power cables. (why on earth didnt I just keep my p300 and get better cables... this will be better in the long run)

I have a 2.0m Ps Audio Plus, and a mini.

In general, would you suspect to see a greater impact running the plus [edit:better power cable] to the amp or to the source.

I want to test this first hand, but everything isnt here yet so I thought I would just see what you guys think first.

The source is a cary 306/200 and its power consumption is about 35watts. The amp is a KGSS and uses about the same amount (~30-40watts).

Why the hell do I need 500w... this isnt my whole system, so please dont even bring this up.

Jan 13, 2004 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 4
Most people say that power affects source components more than amplification components.

Why? Amps usually have beefy power supplies that filter the power a bit on their own, whereas many sources have pretty weak power supplies. Also putting your best stuff first in the chain (ICs and power cables) will do the best to avoid bottlenecking.

Of course in the realm of headamps putting out milliwatts instead of hundreds of watts, this is less addage is less dependable.

I've heard that the KGSS is relatively sensitive to power cord changes, and the Cary 306 is a high-end enough player to probably have a very nice power supply. I wouldn't be at all surprised if your system defies conventional wisdom and sounds better with the better power cord on the amp.

-dd3mon

Jan 13, 2004 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks very much for the response, I think that sums up my initial feelings perfectly.

I dont know my system well enough yet to make any sort of accurate judgement, but after talking with zzz and opening up my 306, I would say you are probably right
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Anyone that has a PS Audio Power Plant knows how much heat those suckers put out (mostly P300), so a lower load is better.

I've noticed a bigger improvement in smaller gauge (thicker) cables. I guess the smaller power cord was bottlenecking the power going to my amp. When I added a bigger and better powercord, I immediately saw a small jump in the power draw on the P300. Interesting, no?

That xStream cable is a real stiff cable, eh?
wink.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back