Quick question about Grado HF-1's and ear pain
May 3, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja
Whenever I see threads about Grado discomfort, I always think it's because of actual physical discomfort from the pressure of the pads. That's certainly what it is for me.

I tried lowering the cans and pushing them slightly forward on my face. This has three advantages - it takes the pressure off your ears, the sounds seem to be emanating from the front rather than right in your head and the treble can be tamed at the same time.

I do this, plus I washed the pads a few times and loosened the headband. You hardly know that they're there then, but they are loose on your head so if you nod, they'll come off!!!!

Damage to your ears though is different and is caused by loud music, not the type of music that one listens to. Rock music is mostly at sameish' levels due to compression so you just need to turn it all down. Classical peaks can really go through your head on Grados if you have it at a volume where say, flutes are at life volume. Having a whole orchestra suddenly blast through your head via Grados is a killer!!!! I try to pretend that I'm on the back row in a concert hall and turn it down. (Especially as I have mild tinitus)

Ian

May 3, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #18 of 26
i had the same problem with the beyerdynamic dt531. i love the cans but even 15 minutes with them on gave me inner ear pain. i think it was the way that they pushed on the areas around my ears that caused the pain. i continued to use them thinking that i'd get used to the pain but it never went away and got worse, to the point that the pain would linger for a lot longer than i had the cans on my head. eventually i sold them because i wasn't able to use them without discomfort.
frown.gif

May 3, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #19 of 26
I don't blame you Fureshi. It's something that is so personal to the shape of your ears/head. At least with Grados, you can bend them to help with relative ease so that the pads are just touching your lugs rather than pressing.

Ian

May 3, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #20 of 26
As mentioned above,your body gives out pain for a reason and that is to alert you to something going on that should not be happening.If this kind of discomfort had only begun to happen then it might be because of everyday long listening sessions that are now catching up to you.So take a break from it.I know it's hard to do but experiment with that a bit and see what you feel after.

May 3, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #21 of 26
I had the same experience when using the HF-1 with bowls. The 414 pads helped tame the highs but i still found a little discomfort. That's why i sold mine. I'd rather let another Head-fier enjoy them rather than just keeping em i guess. Anyway, so far, i found that i can listen to the RS-2 without any discomfort at all.

May 3, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #22 of 26
I have had similar problems off and on with my HF-1's. Contrary to what repliers have said, I don't think it's a volume issue (for me at least, and I would guess for you too). The original poster was careful to explain he isn't listening at loud levels.

What source are you using? I just switched from using iTunes to using iTunes with the Foobar output, which allows use of ASIO (to my red wine usb select) which bypasses kmixer in windows. Basically, it's a better signal path, and I found I could turn the music up louder without the hurt I had been experiencing.

If you have an iPod, try the HF-1 out of that, and see if your pain goes away. I have always been able to power the HF-1's directly from my iPod (even at high volumes) with no pain.

Remember guys, certain frequencies (midrange) will cause way more pain than others (bass).

May 4, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #23 of 26
Wierd. Since I listen to headphones like 4 hours a day I got curious about this & bought a ratshack db meter. Set it to my normal moderate listening volume and racked up about 65 db, occasional peak of 70 db. 90 db is pretty damn loud imho.

May 4, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEcted1
Just a quick question...

I have some HF-1s and everytime I listen to them I get ear pain. I have a slight case of tinnitus and if I listen to them too long, the tinnitus will get quite a bit worse for a few hours. I listen at a volume that is low enough so that I can hear people talk to me... I don't have them turned up very much at all.

Well, I got sick of that, but I still wanted to experience the amazing sound of the HF-1s, so I will listen to just like 1 or 2 songs and I still get slight inner ear discomfort. Not too painful, just a bit of discomfort. Do you think that I am still damaging my ears even though i am only listening to 1 or 2 songs at a low level and experiencing slight discomfort?

This sux! I wish I didn't get that!

I have a very similar problem with Grado. Not as bad. But it's strange.

I need to say that this happens to me ONLY with Grado.

May 4, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee
I have heard that Grados have a treble hump, that can make some frequences as much as 10-12 dBs louder relative to the rst of the frequencies. perhaps that is what is causing your tinnitus - does it happen with other phones?

This isn't the problem for me. I use an EQ. The treble is definitely being handled right, in the right places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back