Quick question about EMU 0404
Feb 4, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmistry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you record Sherwood? If so, what do you use?

I do record, and I've used lots of nice gear in the past, but my limited output today is usually a blue baby bottle into an E-MU 0404, straight to my iMac using Ableton, DP, or Reason. I don't put down a lot of real instruments these days, though, mostly digital noodling. If I were called upon to play for a dignitary, say, I'd only feel comfortable on sax or bass, but for my purposes I play plenty of instruments poorly.

How about you, rmystery? What do you use (aside from the MOTU ultralite?)

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically, I’m not a person at all because my parents were married way before I was born.
What I meant by cheap person is this:

cheapbastard.com I thought it had a nicer ring than cheap bastardette or “bargain hunter”

That’s a good song by the Smashing Pumpkins, but this is more what I had in mind in when I think of female bass players:

Black Sunshine

Keyboard lovers must watch this: Jordan Rudess my hero

if you like his stuff check out his keyboard tutorials and exercises on youtube.

-Greetings from Team Totally off topic
beerchug.gif

That was ok but I like this far more than that.

YouTube - Angels of Light - All Souls Rising. Michael Gira of Swans

BTW, you know what kind of bass she is playing? I think it's Fender Jazzmaster but not sure which one or what year.

They need a site like that for women only and call it cheapbitches.com

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, you know what kind of bass she is playing? I think it's Fender Jazzmaster but not sure which one or what year.

That's an Ernie Ball/Musicman Stingray, from the looks of it. It might be a sterling, but I cannot tell.

Great bass, but not as good as the bongo.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #50 of 56
Heh. Well the whole reason why I started reading and joined up with head-fi is becuase I don't really use anything. I just recorded a song with my keyboard friend and we used my amazing onboard ALC888 chip....mouse wheel scrolling sounds and all....not to mention the disturbingly large amount of hiss that comes with using an onboard chip. As for what I play, I'm similar to you in that sense...I play a lot of instruments...keys, guitar, drums, Indian drums (tabla), sitar, more Indian drums, etc. But my main thing is guitar...for 10 or so years now. Have a digitech GNX3 multieffects board out of which comes an s/pdif that should go to the computer.

Since I upgraded to vista x64, my audigy 2 zs hasn't worked due to creative's amazing driver support. Thats why I'm now looking for a better, higher quality setup.

yeah and that MOTU ultralite hasn't quite made it on my credit card statement just yet. heh. Still trying to make that final decision. Would using a firewire card as the only soundcard in my system prove to be a hassle or would it work just as seamlessly as an internal one (it would probably be connected to a firewire PCI card).

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never expected it to work. it surprised me.

I installed the latest ubuntu 8.10 and things 'just worked'
wink.gif
I think it even knows enough that when I play a 44.1 or 48k song it will set the SR properly - and I think that used to be a known bug, that you had to 'pre init' the 0404 at the windows level, soft-reboot and then linux would be able to drive it. but I don't THINK I did a soft pre-init and so that must mean linux was fully talking to it.

I tried the 8.10 boot CD on my usual desktop, and found that 96 kHz won't work. Since the boot CD doesn't have FLAC, I couldn't try 24-bit, but I'm going to assume that it doesn't.

Anyone know of a USB audio box that a) offers high fidelity and b) actually works at 24/96 in Linux?

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #52 of 56
I tested the 0404 again on a fresh linux install. I'm not sure what happened before but maybe it was a case of the 0404 having been set to 44.1 previously and not powered off. THAT still works - if you softboot windows, set the SR to something then boot to linux, that seems to work, at least at 44.1.

I don't have any sources for 96 but if I can find a short snippet online to try, I'll see if the same trick works.

also, my ancient laptop (pent3/700mhz) is so old, it predates usb2. when I try a pcmcia to usb2 card, I get a LOT of clicks and noise in BOTH linux and xp. so that route, for me, is not productive. however - using usb1 (!) seemed to work just fine for 16/44.1 audio, on both linux and windows. so my pcmcia 'path' was interfering with the rest of the system, when it came to regular audio data to be clocked out evenly.

it does seem that linux still does not have the ability to SET the sr to the device in usb. it can relay audio data there but it won't set the SR and that still makes the solution very incomplete ;(

sorry, I really thought it was all working but its only half.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know what this bass guitar is that Peter Hook from New Order is playing?

Sure do, that's a black Guild Starfire. MusicMan basses were garbage around that time, even though they are fantastic now.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #55 of 56
Thanks, just looked them up and see they were made in the '60s but there was a re-issue in 2000 but don't sound the same as 60's vintage apparently. Do you know a bass that has a similar sound and design that is made today and is not too expensive? I would like an electric bass that plays deep and dark. That's why I got rid of my Fender Precision, it's not a deep sounding bass.

Here's some good pics of a refurbished Guild Starfire.

http://guitargarage.blogspot.com/200...-refinish.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back