Quick Question About Cowon's Claimed Capacity
Feb 14, 2011 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

macrocheesium

Headphoneus Supremus
Is the 8 GB J3 actually 8 GB? For example, the "8 GB" Touch only has something like 6.8 GB, probably because of the OS or something like that. I just need to know if I'll be able to cram my whole collection into it!

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 5
I worked for an ISP for 2 years - when talking monthly quotas, a 'Megabyte' equals 1000 KBytes, not 1024 as you may have been led to believe. I suspect that the DAP makers follow the same convention, while your computer's operating system still considers '1024' to be the correct value for all this byte/kilobyte/megabyte malarkey. Obviously, there is also some space set aside for the mice that run your iPod, but I'll leave that to the computer scientists on the board.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 5
But when I looked at the available space ON my Touch, it read something like "6/6.8GB used". Was the iPod also reading a MB as 1024kB?

Feb 15, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 5
Google is our friend from wiki 

"Although most manufacturers of hard disk drives and flash-memory disk devices define 1 gigabyte as 1000000000bytes, software like Microsoft Windows reports size in gigabytes by dividing the total capacity in bytes by 1073741824, while still reporting the result with the symbol "GB". This practice is a cause of confusion, as a hard disk with a manufacturer-rated capacity of 400 gigabytes might be reported by the operating system as only "372 GB", for instance."
Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

As well as some of the memory is used for the OS and so forth... (some times up to 1gb can be used for it...)| and 8gig ipod or flash will be reported to have 7.4Gb of space 6.8Gb sounds right as some of it has to be taken up by the OS...
This applies to any electronic storage except RAM. 

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Google is our friend from wiki 

"Although most manufacturers of hard disk drives and flash-memory disk devices define 1 gigabyte as 1000000000bytes, software like Microsoft Windows reports size in gigabytes by dividing the total capacity in bytes by 1073741824, while still reporting the result with the symbol "GB". This practice is a cause of confusion, as a hard disk with a manufacturer-rated capacity of 400 gigabytes might be reported by the operating system as only "372 GB", for instance."
Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

As well as some of the memory is used for the OS and so forth... (some times up to 1gb can be used for it...)| and 8gig ipod or flash will be reported to have 7.4Gb of space 6.8Gb sounds right as some of it has to be taken up by the OS...
This applies to any electronic storage except RAM

So the Cowon will display <8 GB as well? That's really all I need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back