quick question about amp/dac
Feb 26, 2010 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

playingwithfire

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I know this is not the right section but I'm here the most and the people are friendly as well as having the most experience with the phones I'm trying to pair up with my Amp/Dac and can tell me their synergy. Also, other people who's thinking about doing the same thing I'm doing might benefit.

So basically I have a very hissy laptop headphone out that I'm trying to bypass with a USB DAC as well as wanting an amp since it looks like I'm getting the UM3X now which doesn't look like it's the most efficient. Since I have a laptop installing a new soundcard obviously isn't an option. I've tried the creative usb one but the sound was unatural to me as well as it having a clunky control centre. I went over to the dark(er?) side of head-fi and read some really glowing reports of iBasso D2+ Boa as a decent Amp/Dac combo. I might take it on the go a couple times but most of the time it will just act as my computer(maybe later xbox 360)'s DAC/Amp. I was wondering what kind of synergy the D2 has with the phones I have(mostly use Westone 2, will get CK10, UM3X and will occasionally pop out the good old RE0)

Thanks in advance you guys!

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 5
I have been spending countless hours reading reviews over the past week...trying to find the best AMP/DAC combo. The top four I found were the following:

RSA "The Predator" | Pico AMP/DAC | Meier Audio 2MOVE | iBasso Audio D4 Mamba

I did not include the Qables iQube because its incredibly expensive and I have heard reports of hiss with IEMs.

Here is a link to a review done by Skylab, its very helpful. Although he did not review the actually DAC section. In my research I found reports that the Pico has best DAC section of the four I listed.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/r...mpared-214588/

I have not heard any of these items, just thought I would forward a link to assist you.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 5
Based on the IEMs you have, sounds like we share similar tastes. I have the CK10 and had the RE0s as well. I decided on the Pico, and it just so happens I actually just purchased a Pico AMP/DAC and im pretty excited.

If you were thinking about using the DAC section with your XBox, the Meier 2MOVE & iBasso have better input options...might be better off with one of those. Read pretty good things about the 2MOVE if you are going that route.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you for the link, good readin'

What I forgot to say is that the budget is around $200, there is absolutely no sense for me, with my most expensive IEM at about $300, to get a $350 amp.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by playingwithfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the link, good readin'

What I forgot to say is that the budget is around $200, there is absolutely no sense for me, with my most expensive IEM at about $300, to get a $350 amp.

Well you can try to get separates. uDAC is $99 bucks. Read that it gives $2000 DACs a run for their money. Do some reading on uDAC.

Then you can always try to find a cheap amplifier. Just a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back