Quick Q. Regarding DIY Challenge
Mar 26, 2002 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tanfenton

500+ Head-Fier
How feasible would it be to recreate an amp without a technical schematic, in fact, nothing but a circuit board, it's switches, and a power supply? I'm talking about the Melos SHA-1, an out-of-production design of great interest to many on these boards.

Hoping,
NGF

Mar 26, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 5
Maybe someone with a Melos (hint hint) and a lot of time can take the board out, carefully, try to identify all of the components, and draw the route that connects them - a big and messy drawing at first that can be cleaned up later.

Or maybe if they're still selling the schematics (or if we can find out who bought all of the old Melos documents, and give him an offer), I would be willing to chip in $10-20 to get a copy of the schematics. A few more interested persons and we'd have a nice offering for the schematics. If it's legal, I'd also like to give it to Headwize to post in their libraries as a donation.

Mar 26, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 5
I know a capacitor from a resistor. That's about the extent of my electrical knowledge. That being so, could you (or someone else) make an assessment with detailed, life-size photographs, or is having the thing in front of you the only practical way of approaching this?

If enough people rallied around this idea, I'd be the first in line to give my SHA-1 up as a temporary model.

NGF

Mar 27, 2002 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Well, the person would need at least life-size photographs of *both* sides of the PCB, and some components would need to be (temporarily) removed if the traces go underneath them. Also, it would be best to have at least two or three people independently creating drawings, so that they can compare them and find errors, if any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back