Quick iTunes question
Apr 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bassophile

100+ Head-Fier
Since some recent update, iTunes has developed an annoying habit of always going to the start of whatever section you're on.

What I mean by that, is, if you're listening to the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, then you pause and click on 'Podcasts' because you want to listen to a podcast for a bit - when you click back on 'Music' - iTunes will have scrolled right back to the top of that list (which might be, for example, 'Abba') - and will have completely lost your position of where you were in that Yeah Yeah Yeah's album.

And, obviously, the same thing will happen for podcasts - and that's even more annoying, because there might be 400 episodes, of a single podcast and iTunes will stupidly jump right back to the top, so you have to remember what episode you were on in order to resume listening.

Does anyone know how to make iTunes 'remember' where you were in a particular section, and resume from it?

Thanks...

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 4
Nothing you can do about that untill a software update.

Honestly you should use J River with the WASAPI.  It blows itunes out of the water. 

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Nothing you can do about that untill a software update.

Honestly you should use J River with the WASAPI.  It blows itunes out of the water. 

I tried the free J River trial offer. I did not perceive that it blows iTunes out of the water.

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 4
I tried the free J River trial offer. I did not perceive that it blows iTunes out of the water.
If you have things set up correctly so that iTunes is bit-perfect, then it shouldn't sound any different from JRiver Media Center. Bit-perfect is bit-perfect after all. But it's much easier to get a bit-perfect output from JRiver, and I don't think iTunes has the option for an exclusive output yet. (doesn't allow audio from other programs)

iTunes is very limited in the audio formats that it supports, and if you want to do any processing to the audio (EQ, volume levelling, Crossfeed/HRTF for headphone listening etc.) then JRiver starts to show improvements right away.

If you've ever tried to manage a large library inside iTunes, you will know that it's horribly slow. Media Center is the fastest player I've found for managing large libraries, and it's running an extremely powerful database engine in the background which allows you to filter your library in ways that other players don't allow. (or do poorly)

I still have iTunes installed for syncing my iOS devices to the PC, but I use JRiver for everything else. (video playback too - it's also an amazing video player as well as audio)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back