Quick International Shipping Question
Apr 4, 2009 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chews89

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

Just wondering, I'm located in Australia and if I purchase headphones from Europe, will I have to pay for any customs/tax charges? From what I understand the only time people pay for customs/tax charges is when they import stuff INTO Europe.

Also I know that Australia customs will only charge tax etc when the item is worth $999 or something huge like that. But I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 6
I think Australian customs tends to be quiet good. All my stuff so far got here just fine.

Not sure about Europe specifically, but I see no reason why they'd treat it differently to an item from, say, the US or Asia.

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

Just wondering, I'm located in Australia and if I purchase headphones from Europe, will I have to pay for any customs/tax charges? From what I understand the only time people pay for customs/tax charges is when they import stuff INTO Europe.

Also I know that Australia customs will only charge tax etc when the item is worth $999 or something huge like that. But I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Correct on both cases.

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 6
Does it depends on the custom declaration done by the seller in europe? if they lower the value of the item, it might avoid the custom duty. From the www.customs.gov.au its like that.

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 6
From the Customs website:

Generally, all goods imported into Australia are subject to Customs duty and GST and are assessed for community protection risks. However, all goods (except for tobacco and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if the value of the goods is A$1000 or less.

When buying over the internet

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 6
So if the seller declare it a lower value? hehe D7000 for instance and make it under 500 USD real value, recently i got a custom cable i bought it for 99 USD, but the declare was only $25 by the seller, and also my Ultrasone Pro 750 was declared as just $250 USD :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back