Quick Impressions on HD-650s (compared to 580s, ER-4S)
Jun 24, 2008 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xoton

100+ Head-Fier
Well, a brand new set of Senn 650s have arrived today and I've got a few quick impressions. They're obviously not burned in but...

The first thing I noticed was the box! Wow, pretty classy. It's not a box...it's a case! Damn! Do I keep them in here? I guess I should since they went to such lengths. Wow. Didn't see that coming.

The phones look sweeeeet--sleek and shiny, metal and very top of the line luxurous. And the cable so looks much nicer than the lo-fi 580 cable. Overall these look way, way nicer than the 580s. (I can't wait to get home and directly compare the sound to the 580s.)

So with the sound...I'm amazed at how well the ER-4S hold up actually. These sound like the perfect mix between the Etys and the 580s. Odd, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Like the Etys, they're detailed, clear and sound very, very even across the freq range. Unlike the 580s which I felt would pick-and-choose the mid-high freq range. The bass, like the ERs isn't bloated and very flat.

Of course, they do have that Senn feel...rich and somewhat distant. It's weird, at times I feel like I'm listening to the Ety's, not the 580s at all, yet they sound a little further away, a lot further away than the Etys...so I catch myself turning it up to get into the sound. It's like the Etys are a foot away from my ears. Or course there's the richer, warmer, more present bass sound that the Ety's don't have, which adds weight. But again, kudos to those amazing ER-4S, since they produce every freq of the bass.

I did immediately notice the treble too. The 650s, like the 580s, extend further up which adds a nice sparkle to the top end. The 650s I can tell, definitely best the 580s here. They're not peaky. Very smooth. None of that mid-high bite. These are 580s fixed up perfect. I think I'm going to really fall for these. I was a little afraid at first, since the Etys do it just as good, and I already have the 580s when I want to get the big warm speaker sound. But these do split the difference and do everything as good or better than both--all in one phone. Of course they don't fit in my shirt pocket like the Etymotics nor seal out the outside world...but hey...they make up for it with warmth, bigness of sound and sennheiser goodness.

I'll see if that feeling is maintained when I can A>B them with my 580s. I suspect the 650s will be staying and the 580s will be relegated to rental status.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 8
600 nude version ( defoamed ) with kimber cable have done it for me , after being tryin aftermarket cables and source and amp changes for hd650 I've finally given up on the 650 midbass bump and kept the slightly more airy recabled 600 for an happy life

I still use them , and happy , even if most of the time I'm wearing ps-1 as it is the most complete set and bests ( and beast ) the hd600 ( and 650 ) by a nice margin ..

never felt a need to look back to 650

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by alavan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 650s are much better than the 580s, but I prefer HD-600.

That's funny, it was my understanding that the HD-580 and HD-600 used the exact same drivers. Once the grilles are replaced the two headphones are supposed to sound identical.

Jun 29, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's funny, it was my understanding that the HD-580 and HD-600 used the exact same drivers. Once the grilles are replaced the two headphones are supposed to sound identical.

The drivers of 580s 600s and 650s can all look the same, but I don't think they are identical. Well they may be identical, but after all the headphones sound quite different to me.

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 8
The drivers of the HD580s and HD600s are identical - they don't just "look identical" - their part numbers are identical.

The drivers of the HD650s are different, which is why they sound so-o-o much darker and "veiled," or "muffled."

And... with the HD600 screens and HD600 cables they also sound identical. If they don't sound identical to you, it may be because one set is the "old" version, and one set is the "new" version.

But, they are otherwise identical.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The drivers of the HD580s and HD600s are identical - they don't just "look identical" - their part numbers are identical.

The drivers of the HD650s are different, which is why they sound so-o-o much darker and "veiled," or "muffled."

And... with the HD600 screens and HD600 cables they also sound identical. If they don't sound identical to you, it may be because one set is the "old" version, and one set is the "new" version.

But, they are otherwise identical.

That may be the reason, I didn't check the drivers when I listened to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back