Quick impressions: Koss PortaPro vs. KTXPro-1
May 16, 2005 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mr.Radar

Headphoneus Supremus
My brother just got a pair of KTXPro-1s. They use the same driver as the Porta Pro so I just did a quick comparison and here's the results: The PortaPro is more comfortable but asthetics are a tossup. The PortaPro is more nasally in the mids and a less boomy bass, but the KTXPro-1 is less refined in the high end and has some sort of...quality to it (especially noticable with vocals) that makes me prefer the PortaPro over it (it sounds almost like they tried to equalise it, but didn't do a very good job of it).

EDIT: Also, the KTXPro-1 isn't burned in at all. These are impressions fresh out of the package and I expect the not-goodness of the KTX to lessen as the 'phones are used.

May 16, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 6
I dont think the drivers are identical....???

I thought the Pro1 has the titanium coated KSC75 driver?... while PP is clear and not metallic coated? pls correct me if I am wrong...

Garrett

May 16, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 6
I am very confused about which Koss headphones have the same drivers in them. I have read a dozen threads and many people have said all kinds of controdictory things about the drivers & the housings of Koss' headphones, somebody point me towards some hard evidence for something. I hate being this lost!
confused.gif

May 16, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 6
I know first hand the KSC75, KSC50, and UR40 have the titanium coated driver. I have all 3 and have taken them apart and done driver transplants.

Not sure about the others
Garrett

May 16, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you so very much for clearing that part of the puzzle up.

May 16, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 6
The KTXPRO1 has utterly different driver housings than the Portapro, which should be taken into account. After letting my KTXPRO1's burn in, I still greatly prefer the Portapros. The KTXPRO1 is (IMHO) not up to Koss's standard for good sounding 'phones, and is barely worth the $15 I paid for them. They seem more durable than I at first thought, but the sound is just... not very good. Muffled, muddy, dull and closed in. They improved a bit with burn in, but not too much.

Interestingly tho, I've been seeing a lot of KTXPRO1's on people's heads while riding the bus lately... or at least I think that's what I've been seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back