Quick impressions: EMU 0404
Aug 11, 2004 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kyrie

1000+ Head-Fier
Installation and startup went without a single hitch. The only problem I had is in trying to figure out the software control panel (the E-MU Patchmix DSP) for the card, which is by far the most complex CP I've ever seen for any hardware device. Looking at it, I was reminded of the first time I tried to use Reason (a software by Propellerhead, those of you who do music mastering or composing would know). It's not quite that bad, but it's really quite excessively technical for a hardware control panel. But anyway, it does do its job, although I think it could be much simpler while retaining the functionality.

One thing I have yet to figure out is how to bypass the input mixer for both Wave and ASIO. When I insert the Send function for one of them, I mute the other, and the only way I can Send both inputs to the analog out is if I insert the Send function into the Main mix, leaving the individual inputs alone. However, that is not bypassing the input mixer, and only bypassing the main mixer. Also, it seems as one cannot send to a single channel from two separate inputs. Anyone have any tips? Anyway, enough with technicalities. Let's move on to the sound.

Some people (more than one) said that the EMU 0404 has more of a "strong, dynamic" sound to it than a "refined" one, I have to agree. As a result, it is a source that does rock or electronic music rather well, but is perhaps not suited for genres such as jazz. As for classical, it does well on exciting pieces such as Night on a Bald Mountain (taking an extreme example here), but doesn't do as well on the the more softer or emotional pieces.

As for synergy, I've found that it seems to mate rather well with the Ety 4P/S, not detracting from their detail while adding the dynamicness and musicality that they sorely need (IMO). On the other hand, it doesn't seem to get along too well with the Senn HD580, the character of the source clashing with the smoothness of the cans. That doesn't mean that they sound awful together, but those of you who use Senns as your main cans might skip the 0404 and instead consider the the 1212m, which is supposed to have a more refined tonal character than the 0404. Comparatively, my previous source, the Audiophile USB w/ upgraded PS, had better synergy with the Senns while not sounding as good with the Etys.

However, in terms of more technical aspects such as detail and dynamic range, I think there is absolutely no room for doubt that the EMU 0404 is a better source than the Audiophile USB, and also presumably the Audiophile 24/96, which I remember sounding similar to the Audiophile USB and is priced similarly to the EMU. I have not heard the 1212m so I cannot compare, but I have little doubt that the 0404 is the best bang for buck card in its price class. Whether it is worth upgrading to the 1212m seems to depend not so much the SQ, but more importantly synergy (as noted above), your musical preferences, and whether you have two PCI slots free. I didn't.

Aug 11, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 7
kyrie, hi

Thanks for your insigths, they were helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
the only way I can Send both inputs to the analog out is if I insert the Send function into the Main mix, leaving the individual inputs alone. However, that is not bypassing the input mixer, and only bypassing the main mixer.

Also, it seems as one cannot send to a single channel from two separate inputs.

If you have two HOST inputs, doesn't it make sense that you have to go through the input mixer? Afterall, you are mixing the sounds together if you want simultaneous playback. If your use is either/or, your use is more like a preamp and in that case (which is how I use mine), I just switch the SEND from WAV back and forth to ASIO.

You want to take 2 separate inputs and send to one channel? For what purpose are you using this for? Is it for audio editing?

Aug 11, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 7
paragraphs are good. use next time.
wink.gif

thanks for the write up though.

Aug 11, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 7
I did use paragraphs. Notice how each line isn't filled to the end? But to oblige you, I'll add an extra blank line at the end of each paragraph...

Thanks for the input lan, I was just too lazy to switch the input back and forth each time I need to. I guess there's no need to bypass the input filter though.

Aug 11, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 7
thanks!

was the meta your amp? also, do you plan on keeping both cards (emu and audiophile)?

i am still debating if it's worth the effort to make the switch. because kinda interesting that you prefered the audiophile with the senns.

Aug 11, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 7
The META is my amp, though I plan on upgrading soon.
wink.gif

I plan on selling my Audiophile, if I can. In fact it's currently on the F/S forum. I didn't actually prefer the Audiophile with my Senns; despite there being greater synergy between the HD580 and Audiophile rather than the 0404, the difference in actual performance was enough to compensate for the synergistic disadvantage, and then some. Overall, I ended up prefering the 0404 for the HD580 by a narrow margin, and the 0404 for the Etys by a great margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back