Quick impression of the MS-2
Dec 30, 2005 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Zorander

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got these phones from a fellow head-fier. I assume they are well burned-in already so the sound I hear will logically stay the same with use. Quick impressions so far:

First, the pads. I tried bowls, reversed bowls and flats with them. Where I found reversed bowls to sound best with the SR-80, the MS-2 seems to match better with the flats. The reversed bowls deliver rather thin and far more fatiguing sound than its SR-80 pairing. The flats deliver bass in the 'correct' quantity (not too much, not too little) and just minimal muddying of the sound. Comfort is clearly much better on the flats than the bowls. Soundstage is unfortunately nil with the flats.

I read complaints that the 325s are uncomfortably heavy compared to their plastic-bodied brothers. Given the MS-2 is physically alike to the 325, I was concerned with this. When I put them on however, they do not subjectively feel any heavier than the SR-80. I know I can comfortably keep them on my head for a long time. They also probably came pre-stretched as they have much less clamping strength on my head than the SR-80. These phones feel like they will easily slip off, but they also feel immensely easier on the head thanks to the hardly existent pressure.

Sound-wise, I was frankly expecting a night and day difference with the SR-80, but it did not turn out that way. There are improvements in detail resolution and noticably tamer highs (much less sibilant than the hissy SR-80). Where I read that the higher Grados possess BIG bass and more impact, I found the bass on the MS-2 to be on the 'polite' side: bigger and less agile than the SR-80 but does not dominate over the rest of the frequency spectrum. Both phones have similar sonic signature however and the SR-80 has not suddenly become an inferior product in the face of MS-2. My preference for Sennheiser sound has not changed either. I'll see how this changes once I get better used to the MS-2 sound.

Any other MS-2 ex-/owners who want to chime in?

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 11
Yep, I agree with you on most parts. I knew there wouldn't be a night/day difference (owned the ms-1 first) after reading some reviews. All grado's have the same soundsignature, the difference is in bassimpact and details. The difference in bassimpact is (comparing the ms-1 tot the ms-2) not very different/more, although I got the feeling that the bass is a bit deeper.
I feel that the mids of the ms-2 are much better then the mids from the ms-1.
I still prefer my hd-650 for classic/female/easy listening/ soft rock/ some hiphop, but for the real rock (&roll) music the ms-2 rules it totally.

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 11
I am quite suprised, that you feel the flats are better sounding than the bowls. The MS-2 is already nicely tamed in the highs. I feel that to get the best out of them, I always used the stock bowls.

Comfort wise, I didn't find them as bad as others say! I bent the headband just a bit, as it is maid of metal, and they were just fine. Glad you like them, though!
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 11
At this stage, the flats seem to give the most 'correct' sound with the MS-2 (though I have to admit the complete absence of sound-/headstage and small degree of muddied sound still prevent me from being completely satisfied). I wouldn't consider the MS-2 to be completely tamed in the highs either as I can still hear some harshness in the highs. The Sennheiser still owns the crown for smooth refined high.

Currently switching to the regular bowls and listening on the lounge PC. It is clear the MS-2 has higher detail resolution (aided by the relative lack of rampant highs), but euphony-wise, the SR-80 can do it as well, just in a different way.

Is there anyone here who has done silver cable replacements on the MS-2? How has it changed the sound?

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
To owners of MS-2,

When your phones first arrived, did they clamp strongly to your head (like Grados) or did they come pre-stretched (barely hanging on the head)? Also, are there any owners out there who have performed cable upgrades on these phones?

Larry from Headphile will recable them with any cable, and I've read the Blacksilver is a very good match with them.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 11
Yep compared to the MS-1 they clamp pretty strong when you don't bend the headband; they are also are a fair bit heavier and need more pressure to stay on. I find the stock bowls works best with them, but I never liked the flats on the MS-1 or SR325i either; I like the modded HD414 pads and comfies for these phones which seems to have more natural sounding high, weight and base impact. Also to me the SR325i sounds more alike to the MS-1 than the MS-2 do. I find the MS2 more neutral in terms of pace and tonal balance but they are too laid back for my liking and don't really move me the same way the SR325i does when I listen to them which is why I sold them. The SR325i also provides a bit of a soundstage too in comparison, nothing too outstanding though.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 11
IMHO the MS2 is more neutral than the Grado SR cans. I find more "energy"... More "stuff going on" at the extreme ends of the spectrum with the MS2. I find its mids pulled back a little and not as in your head sounding as the SR80/125/225. The headstage seems less in my head than the other $300 grados. Bass wise it takes a step down in terms of impact, but a step up in terns of sub bass extension.

To my ears its the added claritry and detail resolution, and slightly wider soundstage image that makes the MS2 superior to the other Grado sub $300 cans.

Garrett

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I am quite suprised, that you feel the flats are better sounding than the bowls. The MS-2 is already nicely tamed in the highs. I feel that to get the best out of them, I always used the stock bowls.

I have tried them with the bowls (normal and reversed) for a few weeks. My preference for the flats stand. The bowls deliver a too bright sound as well as a metal-like shrillness in the highs. My ears cannot stand listening to them for long and I fear tinnitus might come to me prematurely if I keep listening to them.

Switching back to the flats, I really could not find any major shortcoming with the combination (unlike with the SR-80). The disappearance of the shrillness as well as the still present treble activity in very sufficient amount are very welcome traits of the flats on the MS-2. I might try the Senn 414 pads someday as well.

Cheers!

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 11
i felt that the ms2 sounded the best with the bowl as they had the grado sparkle to the top end with all of the details. the flats took that away and made the bass too boomy. my second favorite were the senn414 pads but they took away enough of the sparkle to make them slightly less enjoyable and also collapsed the soundstage.

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 11
My initial comparison/first impression with my (owned from new, well-burned) SR80=> (brand new straight out of the box) MS2 revealed quite a difference: the MS2s sounded very full-bodied, quite dark, much better head/soundstage and a "textured" extended bass. Exactly what I had been looking for. Swapping back to the SR80s was a disappointment in a straight comparison: the SR80s sounded thin, flat and harsh (bowls).
Comfort-wise, the MS2s (new) felt like they were welded to my head - I am sure that the meaty leather headband "head-feel" contributed to this.
I have tried the bowls/reverse bowls and 414 pads, and for me the MS2 works best with the bowls, and the SR80 works best with the Senn pads.
Now both are burned in with stretched headbands I think that the SR80s are very comfortable, lightweight (in both senses), fun-sounding cans.
The MS2s have a definite "scaleable" aura to them, and are much more revealing of artefacting or distortion in the recording, without being "forgiving" in the same way the SR80/414 combo is (or which my HD650s were - which I sold).
All IMO of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back