Quick help with ASIO!
Oct 21, 2006 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Audio18

100+ Head-Fier
hi guys. just switched from kernal steaming to ASIO dll for foobar. I noticed that other windows sounds still so this must mean it's not working properly? kernal streaming didn't have this problem. with ASIO enabled, the sound is still very different from the windows media player...mostly less harsh and more neutral. is the asio working properly? or does it have to make all windows sounds not work to be working right? hope im being clear, thanks!

Oct 21, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 8
Are you using the a digital out? If so plug it in to a DTS capable home theater reciever, play a DTS files, if you hear music ASIO is working. Otherwise you will never know if you have bitperfect.

Oct 21, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio18
hi guys. just switched from kernal steaming to ASIO dll for foobar. I noticed that other windows sounds still so this must mean it's not working properly? kernal streaming didn't have this problem. with ASIO enabled, the sound is still very different from the windows media player...mostly less harsh and more neutral. is the asio working properly? or does it have to make all windows sounds not work to be working right?

The asio is working but obviously it is going into a mixer so you are not getting bit-perfect reproduction of the asio stream.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal
Are you using the a digital out? If so plug it in to a DTS capable home theater reciever, play a DTS files, if you hear music ASIO is working. Otherwise you will never know if you have bitperfect.

hi there. nope, using analog out from revo 5.1 into swans m-200.

Oct 22, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 8
With ASIO you can hear other sounds also. When you use Kernel Streaming it disables all the other sounds. So if you for example want to quickly check some video on YouTube, you must stop the music before you can hear the sounds. With ASIO you can just pause the music or let it play behind.

Oct 23, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
With ASIO you can hear other sounds also. When you use Kernel Streaming it disables all the other sounds. So if you for example want to quickly check some video on YouTube, you must stop the music before you can hear the sounds. With ASIO you can just pause the music or let it play behind.

really? no offense, but are you certain? if you are that is completely what i'm looking for. the same quality as kernal steaming but without that effect. i've always heard ASIO does the same as KS.

Oct 23, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio18
really? no offense, but are you certain? if you are that is completely what i'm looking for. the same quality as kernal steaming but without that effect. i've always heard ASIO does the same as KS.

Yes I'm certain. There shouldn't be a big difference in sound quality or if there is then ASIO might be even better. It's really a matter of taste but I like to use ASIO output.

Oct 23, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Yes I'm certain. There shouldn't be a big difference in sound quality or if there is then ASIO might be even better. It's really a matter of taste but I like to use ASIO output.

Thanks! but what about "The asio is working but obviously it is going into a mixer so you are not getting bit-perfect reproduction of the asio stream." Does that hold true and if it does, is it noticible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back