Quick Fiio L16 Impressions
Dec 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ShibeSuchBass

100+ Head-Fier
Picture gallery if you want to see it first or just look at them.

First off, I should note that I am not an audiophile, I am a basshead. That should not carry a negative connotation though, it just means I prefer bass... a lot of it, at that. I also should make a point of saying that I am not a cable roller, I've never bought interconnects like this and I did not buy this looking for a different or better sound. I know they can make a slight sound difference, but I do not believe I would spend more than $20 for a small IC like this because I do not care for the small sound difference it can make and I simply do not have the money to spend a lot on cables. I bought this because I wanted a straight connector IC for my source and amp, the right angle connector kept getting in the way. I needed something inexpensive, worked for me, and possible looked nicer... this was the result of what I found and met all those requirements. The cable itself is $30, I had dismissed it for a while because it was too much for what I was planning on spending, then I found the FiiO HS6 kit which was only $17 and included more stuff, so of course I got the HS6. If I had an excellent set of cans, the best DAC and amp and I wanted to squeeze every ounce out of them, maybe I would get a high quality cable for that extra oomph. Now onto my mini review/impressions of the cable.

Honestly, there is not much to say about this cable. It is inexpensive, carries the quality of Fiio, and does what it is supposed to do. I did not notice a change in sound from the Fiio L8 I was using before. The cabling used is OFC. 
Maybe breaking it down will make it easier to describe. The connectors are gold plated, and have a solid metal sleeve? around them that screws on and off. Underneath the metal sleeve?, the cables and soldering is revealed, but covered in the clear plastic sleeving all the way to the gold plated connectors. The boot does not bend very much, just barely enough to help with some strain when being bent. Overall the connectors are not too big, but bigger than normal cheaper connectors, I think these are the perfect size. They also feel sturdy and look very nice, minimal, and sleek.

I cannot speak for the soldering job or internal cables, but the cable overall itself is covered in a hard feeling plastic that bends surprisingly easy and a lot, I do not see that as a negative though. The clear plastic coating is actually pretty thin, but I feel like it is protected well and wont be damaged unless you try to. There are two separate bundles of cabling that make it more on the flat side than round like a traditional cable, but I would not say it is flat. Both bundles are wrapped in what looks to be either a metal or plastic weaved shroud; I don't think this will offer much protection, but at least it makes it look nicer than color coded twists of cables IMO. Of course the cables come to an end, soldered onto the gold plated jack, you can take a look at that and make the call yourself, chances are you would know more about it than me.

There is not really anything else for me to add. I cannot speak for a possible difference in sound it makes or the quality of the cabling. This was just a quick impressions by an average guy and amateur audio aficionado... wait aren't amateur and aficionado kind of contradictory? I look forward to advancing in quality audio! Enjoy my picture gallery of the L16 by following the link... http://imgur.com/a/Hxr7J#0 

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 3
Thank you for your honest opinion. I think the audio quality can be desired also for genres that are not so "audiophile", also because being audiophile, to me, it's just love music and put attention and time on it (+ a lot of money
biggrin.gif
 ). 

I'm going to buy this cable too. It will be the first time for me in buying a "aftermarket" cable. So I'm curious to see if I can notice any difference in sound quality. I'm not a basshead but neither a serious audiophile as I'm not so good in detecting small differences. If the upgrade is noticeable I will buy also a replacement cable for my westone UM Pro 30.

Maybe I will post some impressions here 

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 3
Just bought it. I think the audio quality is significantly better than with low quality cable (more clean sound) but I can't feel clear differences from the "stock" FiiO cable. Maybe with some serius listening something can be heard but I listen music for fun and not to find imperceptible differences. It is really cool and sturdy anyway. Good buy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back