Quick ER-20 question
Feb 24, 2007 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

skudmunky

Headphoneus Supremus
I just picked up the Etymotic ER-20 earplug (going to a Dragonforce concert tomorrow, really needed plugs
tongue.gif
) and I can't find the answer to this anywhere:

Am I supposed to take the clear plastic end caps off? I assume so, but nowhere is it mentioned, and the manual (as it were) says "grasp end caps" to put in and take out. I'm confused!

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 7
No, the end caps stay attached to the earpieces. Those are the "acoustic resistors" that allow for the sound to be attenuated more evenly than most other types earplugs. If you took them off, you'd just have a triflange with a hole in it, and that wouldn't do you much good at all!

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the end caps stay attached to the earpieces. Those are the "acoustic resistors" that allow for the sound to be attenuated more evenly than most other types earplugs. If you took them off, you'd just have a triflange with a hole in it, and that wouldn't do you much good at all!

makes sense, thanks. Did wonder why it was removable.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 7
Removable? Are we talking about the same thing? I once tried separating the sleeve from the acoustic resistor (wanted to see if I could fit them on my Shures ), and it just didn't work at all. You didn't mean the kinda rubbery caps that hold the the string, did you?

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Removable? Are we talking about the same thing? I once tried separating the sleeve from the acoustic resistor (wanted to see if I could fit them on my Shures ), and it just didn't work at all. You didn't mean the kinda rubbery caps that hold the the string, did you?

No, I mean't the clear plastic caps that cover the (in my case blue) stem of the plug. I never took it all the way off, and they definitely isolate fine.

Feb 24, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 7
The clear "Stem" with the blue inside on yours (purple on mine
smily_headphones1.gif
) stays on during use and is not intended to be removed.

(it can be taken off if needed without much difficulty, as I did to change the tips)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back