Quick E500 tip suggestions
Feb 20, 2007 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
I just got E500s about 3 days ago, I was using the stock grey rubber tips (they fit my ears the best), but the sound was too sharp and the treble didn't sparkle like a like- it seemed weak. I was about to return them and I tired the medium hard plastic sleeves.. what a difference, the treble was there in spades and much more smooth, however the bass was a little less and these things just don't fit right.

I ended up trying the yellow foamies and found that I had the bountiful smooth highs, and nice clear bass, a really nice sound. My question is, there have to be better sleeves than these, they seem a little cheap and I don't know how long they will last, any suggestions would be appreciated.

If I had to base these on the grey stock tips I would have said they lacked highs and easily fatuiged my ears. But the foam tips sound so much smoother and musical, even the hard plastic sounded better to my ears. I wonder why shure has them as the stock tips?, I never knew tips could make that much of a difference. Also they have a great synergy with the cowon D2
icon10.gif
, next a Tomahawk
icon10.gif

Thanks much

Scott.

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 3
I've got similar experiences with the E500 and tip-rolling.

I think you weren't getting a proper seal with the medium hard plastic sleeves, so you got a bit of bass leakage leading to less bass. However, the highs really benefited from this.

For me, the yellow foamies were the best out of the included tips. I promptly purchased some Comply slim foamies. They gave slightly better isolation but retained the same cheerful sound that I got from the yellow foamies. Like the medium hard plastic sleeves, the fit was not 100%, but only 95% (I know it's a bit vague). As a result, bass leakage occured and what is left is a brighter sound. It's a bit ironic because most of the time, people are complaining about poor fit. In this particular instance, I'm complaining about the fit being too good
biggrin.gif

Tips do definitely make a difference
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks Milkpowder, I noticed the grey rubber tips also have the smallest opening, maybe the sound is being "forced through" too much and results in the harsh sound. I will try the comply, I also heard shure has new black foam tips that are supposed to be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back