Quick Checklest: What opamps can be used in a PPA/Pimeta?
Jan 12, 2004 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

blipblop

100+ Head-Fier
I'm assuming both are sufficiently of the same design that there is no compatibility difference. Hopefully this list will make it easier for those planning a purchase to "roll" chips.

Here's what I've gathered:

AD8610AR
AD8610BR
AD8620AR
OPA2132 (suffix?)
OPA2134 (suffix?)
OPA2111
OPA627AP
OPA637AP

Jan 12, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 9
The PPA wants three single-channel chips. It would be silly to adapt dual-channel chips to the PPA; possible, but silly.

The PIMETA wants one dual-channel chip and one single-channel chip. You can use three single-channel chips on the PIMETA with suitable adapters.

Quote:

AD8610AR
AD8610BR

I highly doubt you will find a significant difference between these two. They're just two different grades of the same chip, differing mainly in offset voltage. Since the offset of the A grade is low enough, the B is more expensive with no benefit.

Jan 12, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 9
So you couldn't plop a Dual-channel chip into the L or R channels of a PPA? I could swear that some people posted that they were doing just that. I wondered about it too, but then thought that they obviously knew better than I do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Does the negligible difference between the "A" and "B" series also correspond to the Burr Brown naming system, for example, the OPA627AP and OPA627BP?

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 9
No, you can't put a dual OP into the PPA, although the PIMETA needs one dual and one single.

The Burr Brown grading is just the same as the AD grading, BPs are made to higher tolerances than the APs, but as tangent said you'd be pressed to hear a difference, but that doesn't stop people buying the BPs!

g

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Ha. I see. I'm not surprised BPs are bought by folks on here. Even after Morsel has said that both she and KurtW couldn't hear a difference between Elna Cerafines and Panasonics, all these PPAs are lined with 'dem expensive Elnas.

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 9
Elna's aren't expensive, just very hard to get.

Now Black Gates -- that's another story. Those are DAMN expensive.
wink.gif

Nichicon Muse, in fact, aren't that expensive either. Just hard to find as well.

My PPA has 8 1000uF Panasonic FC caps on it. I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference on my current headphones listening at work with the air handlers running 24x7. However, at home I might have a better shot.

I wish I could drop $400 on a set of HD650's, but that's a lot of coin without ever hearing a pair. Or maybe some Beyer DT880's or something. Thing is, who knows until you can hear it.

I have AP versions of the OPA637/627 in my current PPA. The next one I'm building uses the BP versions. Yeah, I'm one of those suckers too.
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by blipblop
I'm assuming both are sufficiently of the same design that there is no compatibility difference. Hopefully this list will make it easier for those planning a purchase to "roll" chips.

Here's what I've gathered:

AD8610AR
AD8610BR
AD8620AR
OPA2132 (suffix?)
OPA2134 (suffix?)
OPA2111
OPA627AP
OPA637AP

You missed out the OPA2107PA a superb sounding chip

Jan 13, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #9 of 9
Opa2107AP you mean, right? These letters are all confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back