Quick Audition - AKG K240 MKII
Sep 11, 2009 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

I dont see these mentioned a whole lot on Head-Fi : I suspect that AKG have created needless confusion by having too many variants on the K24*/K27* series cans, and many owners of the older K240 models clearly arent overly impressed with the new kids on the block. Add some very up-and-down posts re the K271S and I went into tonight's audition with very low expectations. Add the fact that my only source was my Sony DAP and I fully expected to find myself wondering why I bothered.

Long story short, I was very pleasantly surprised. Unlike the K601, these cans put the drivers much closer to your ears and I was instantly impressed by the bass impact I got from such an open pair of cans (the downside being that the ambient noise in the shop was annoying). The fact that I needed to crank the Sony right up to get the kind of volume I wanted only reinforced the fact that these will stay at home with most of my other cans (no biggie), but I was very impressed with how silky the delivery was, particularly on male vocal, while still giving me as much bass as I've ever had from open cans. Whether it was inverse expectations, placebo or whatever - I liked them immediately, and that isnt what I expected.

No 5-minute audition in the middle of a noisy store can hope to be definitive, but it was encouraging nonetheless. I prefer the pleather pads on the 242 HD to the pads on the 240, but I believe they are the same headphone so I'll order the 242. I hope to give some more impressions when I take delivery of my own pair next week.

estreeter

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 5
How does the velour pad change the sound compared to the pleather? I have the vinyl pads on the k240S and would try the velour if it gets rid of some of the boominess in the upper bass region(around 150hz to 250hz)...it is overpowering. To me they sound just like the graph on headroom looks. =3&graphID[1]=723&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]http://www.headphone.com/technical/product-measurements/build-a-graph.php?graphID[0]=3&graphID[1]=723&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 5
OK - velour, pleather : I dont know my fabrics, but the vinyl on the MKII seemed very 1950s after the sheer comfort of the k601.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back