Quick [and possibly stupid] question about Foobar/Winamp EQ
Oct 2, 2004 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Are the EQ's in these programs as good as you could expect from a hardware EQ like the DEQ2496 (in terms of quality of sound rather than flexibility), and is it all done in the digital domain (I guess is probably is but I want to be sure).

Also, is Foobar's EQ better than Winamps? (apart from having more flexibility)?

Ta.

Oct 2, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Are the EQ's in these programs as good as you could expect from a hardware EQ like the DEQ2496 (in terms of quality of sound rather than flexibility), and is it all done in the digital domain (I guess is probably is but I want to be sure).

Probably not, though I've never done a comparison of them.

Quote:

Also, is Foobar's EQ better than Winamps? (apart from having more flexibility)?

Yes. The Foobar2000 EQ operates at 64-bit floating point while the Winamp EQ operates at 16-bit fixed point.

Oct 2, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 4
This is hard to compare since they are totally different pieces of equipment and you want to only compare their algorithms for EQ.

If you use a digital cable to the external EQ unit, you are adding jitter, the parts for clock, power supply, and DAC are probably cheap in the Behringer since it is a budget component. So eventhough it will remain digital, the quality you'd listen through via analog out of the behringer will probably be less clear. It might be best to use a Benchmark DAC1 or something which reclocks after to compare both.

Any computer EQ is digital based since the computer is digital. foobar's EQ is better than winamp's and you have the option of usinig the convolver plugin to do more advanced ones.

Oct 2, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back