Quick (and maybe stupid) question about FiiO E9 + Macbook
Oct 14, 2015 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

drgnfrc13

100+ Head-Fier
I was reading through an old thread from 2011 in which a couple people stated that you should always use the Line Out instead of the Headphone Out with the E9 (or with any amp, I guess)... If I am understanding correctly, they mean that you should use the Line Out port on the source, not the amp itself... So how exactly do you do this if your source is a Macbook Air, which combines the Line Out and Headphone Out into a single 3.5mm port? Is it somehow automatically used as a Line Out when I plug my E9 into it, or is there some sort of setting in the computer that I need to modify?

This is the thread I was looking at. http://www.head-fi.org/t/537086/beyerdynamic-dt990-600-fiio-e9-respect

Please excuse my ignorance, I just bought my E9 last week on an impulse, because it was only $30 on eBay (listed "As Is" because they were selling it without original packaging and cables). This is my first desktop amp; all I've previously owned were the E11 and E6. I'm mainly using it with just my new Philips Fidelio X2 + 2013 Macbook Air (no external DAC yet, but at this rate, I'm sure I'll end up making that purchase soon enough...).

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 2
Well, I think I've figured out that I need a 3.5mm spdif cable to make use of the line out, but that's basically just my best guess at this point. It would be great if I could actually get some responses here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back