Quick advice for a blooming audiophile? LD MK3 w/ AKG K701?
Dec 24, 2010 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

neil1138

New Head-Fier
I haven't been a member for long but I do enjoy lurking. I did quite a bit of research on here before I bought my first pair of headphones. I finally settled on a pair of ATH-M50s and I've thoroughly enjoyed them but I think it's time to move on. 

With the M50s, I read you didn't really need an amp so I never bought one. But I've done quite a bit of research on my next set of headphones and I really like the AKG K701. I've read that they are hard to drive and need a good amp. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money to drive them, something under $300 preferably. I know that amount of money probably isn't ideally sufficient to drive these headphones but I'm hoping I'll still see an improvement over the M50s? Something different at least and something I can upgrade in the future. 

I've seen people recommend the Little Dot MKIII and say it works well with the K701. I know down the line I'll probably get an external DAC and completely change the amp but for now, I'm just looking at a decent amp that will drive the K701 well enough. The source is my 2009 Unibody MBP. I know as a source it isn't good at all but it's what I have to work with. I was thinking: mbp > LD Mk3 > k701. The connection between the mbp and the amp being a mini stereo to RCA? Will this be utterly shiet or will it be ok? 

TL;DR: Just looking for a quick response maybe confirming my amp choice (LD MK3 for use with AKG K701) or maybe recommending something small that I can expand on in the future? Small not being portable, but a small footprint on my wallet. To note: It took a while but most all of my library is 320kbps/FLAC. I listen to bands like Phoenix, Blue October, Ronald Jenkees, Maroon 5, etc with the occasional tiesto or deadmau5 thrown in. So alternative, rock, pop, electronic, stuff like that. Thanks guys <3

Here's a photo of my current setup, unfortunately no eye candy audio equipment wise.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neil1138/5111994939/

EDIT: I came across this option as well: Head-Direct EF2. I've read good things, any thoughts?

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
With the k701 and other akg's go for a good solid state or hybrid amp. I'd pass on any OTL tube amp.

Thank you for the reply. Going on that, should I consider something like the Matrix M-Stage amp? 

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 7
It be cheaper to just buy a good amp now.

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Just messing around, I hooked up my yamaha rx-v457 stereo receiver as an amp. Mbp > stereo receiver > M50s and WOW. I read that the M50s don't really need an amp but damn, they sound great now! I've never heard this kind of bass through the M50s, it's amazing. 

I've read a couple of threads where people talk about using a stereo receiver as a headphone amp. Seems it's not generally recommended, I have no idea why not because this sounds superb.

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Just messing around, I hooked up my yamaha rx-v457 stereo receiver as an amp. Mbp > stereo receiver > M50s and WOW. I read that the M50s don't really need an amp but damn, they sound great now! I've never heard this kind of bass through the M50s, it's amazing. 

I've read a couple of threads where people talk about using a stereo receiver as a headphone amp. Seems it's not generally recommended, I have no idea why not because this sounds superb.

A chain of seperate audio components - each with (a) specific task(s) - is easier to adjust and to improve. I prefer integrated components because of the connectivity and when everything works well you are done. More importantly for the budget integrated components can be less of a burden which I find convenient. 

If you like this set up just enjoy it. A lot of people underestimate their 'normal' audio system components while those audio components can be just as good to their ears as the products a lot of Head-Fi-members buy. It is up to you how you want to build your listening set up so good luck...

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 7
I have the LD MKIII and the 701's and the M-stage. 
So speaking from experience, I would pick the M-stage to match with the 701's hands down. you can get the M-stage used on the forums here (I think there is one for around $200 on the for sale forum with the A-stage mod already done). I would also advise you to get an external DAC. Although I am not familiar witht line out on th MBP if it is anything like other line out/head phone out I have heard you will be amping crap that you don't want amped. You can probably get a uDac2 for under $100 on the FS forums (I still use my uDAC 1 when traveling and it does a great job). All in you should be at $300 or just above with shipping.
Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back