Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Jun 6, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #500 of 757
OK. Am about to bite the bullet on the CMA800R and will be building my next system around it.

Please list in order of preference your top three headphone pairings with this amp.

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #502 of 757
:D

I've only spent half an hour with the HD800s running put of a meier Audio Corda Concerto I owned at the time. It seemed a little anaemic compared to the LCD2s that were my primary phones at the stage. Have moved on to T1s.

Perhaps it's time to give the HD800s a second chance through a better matching amp and with a different reference point.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #505 of 757
  Just found this from T.H.E. Show Newport: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbyqmEugreI

The CMA800i is going to be 2000$. It's even better than i expected!

Yep, I was expecting it to be maybe $2500 or so. If it gives us 80% of the performance from CMA800R plus 80% of the CAS192D, that's a damn good deal. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #506 of 757
The price we pay for that extra 20% (Law of Diminishing Returns 
frown.gif
)

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #508 of 757
Or DNA Sonnet 2

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #509 of 757
Has anyone had the opportunity to do a critical "side by side" comparison of the Headamp GS-X MkII vs Questyle CMA800R (either SE or dual mono) using the HD800 phones?    I presently have one CMA800R and like it a lot with the HD800, but I'm leaning toward going balanced and at the same time acquiring a truly "end-game" amp for my system.    As good as the CMA800R is, I keep thinking about pulling the trigger for a GS-X MKII (despite the long wait).    From the scattered comments I've seen on various Head-Fi forums, I have the impression that the GS-X MKII is considered by many to be at the very top of the best SS amps for the HD800s.    At this point I'm not inclined toward buying another CMA800R to use for dual mono operation unless this combination is significantly better than a GS-X. 

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #510 of 757
  Has anyone had the opportunity to do a critical "side by side" comparison of the Headamp GS-X MkII vs Questyle CMA800R (either SE or dual mono) using the HD800 phones?    I presently have one CMA800R and like it a lot with the HD800, but I'm leaning toward going balanced and at the same time acquiring a truly "end-game" amp for my system.    As good as the CMA800R is, I keep thinking about pulling the trigger for a GS-X MKII (despite the long wait).    From the scattered comments I've seen on various Head-Fi forums, I have the impression that the GS-X MKII is considered by many to be at the very top of the best SS amps for the HD800s.    At this point I'm not inclined toward buying another CMA800R to use for dual mono operation unless this combination is significantly better than a GS-X. 

I haven't heard a GS-X in a while, and it was the original rather than the MkII. So I can't help there. I will say the main benefit of adding another CMA800R to the mix is with other headphones, more so than with HD800.

My full review is coming in the next week or so but to summarize - dual CMA800R really brings the LCD-3 to another level, and also sounds exceptional with HE-6 and HE-500. It makes a difference with HD800 but the improvement is nowhere near as drastic. I think just one of them already sounds so good with HD800 that maybe there just isn't as much room to improve. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back