Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Mar 3, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #736 of 757

And the pictures, don't forget the pictures 
beyersmile.png

That's really awesome news though, Craig! Those are all stellar headphones and I bet a lot of people will have a lot to gain from you sharing your thoughts on that combo.

I also wonder about which will have the best synergy? My bet is the LCD-3, you have any guesses here and now?

Honestly? I think LCD-3 is a really safe bet.... I think the 800r will take the LCD-3 out of the dark a bit and push the sound forward. Also I might take this time to get more acquainted with the LCD line up if I hear good results! I don't have a lot of knowledge with the El8, LCDX ect. I already love the Utopia with it, but that doesn't mean that another headphone could have better synergy...

and YES I will take pics!!
wink.gif

Thanks.  I'd be interested in the LCD series sinergy.  Appreciate your time.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #737 of 757

Just a shot I took in the moment. Going to take my time with it and give my brain time to adjust to the set up. Should have a write up by next week I would suspect. I'll be away thurs to Sunday or I would be firing this out sooner!

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #739 of 757
Alright- Finally got some time and wanted to put this up. These are all my notes that I wrote while listening to the Questyle 800R Golden amp. I listened to more songs but didn't want this to be 30 pages long. I listened for 3 days and bounced around a lot ha.

I want it to be clear that I represent Music To My Ear in Pittsburgh (a sponsor of headfi) if you didn't already know...My name before MTMECraig was Bunnynamedfrank if you would like to know more about me. I get total freedom from Mark (the owner) to talk about whatever headphones or cans on headfi that I feel like ha. I like doing A/B a lot since I am passionate about headphones and was surprised there wasn't much info about the Gold Stack in general on here... Which brings me to this-

The purpose of this "Experiment" was to try and see what the best synergy I got from amp,headphone and DAC... Ill try to keep everything as transparent as possible, and obviously take this whole thing as MY opinion, but feel free to ask questions if you would like. Specific questions are easier for me to think about and look back on then trying to convey that through this text.

For all 3 days I used a Macbook running Tidal, and the USB cord was a Nordost Blue Heaven. Balanced cables for connection to amp and DAC were Nordost Heimdall 2

Day 1- Set up- Dac was Questyle CAS 192D Golden (USB up sampling, digital filter FIR soft knee) Connected to 800R Golden. Disclaimer- the digital filters I bounced around with on the CAS 192 D and I didn't grasp the differences enough so I just kept the one I mentioned for all the cans mentioned.

HD800 and HD800s both connected- "My book of regrets" by Steven Wilson. I can tell the amp seems to be pretty neutral for both cans. The amp lets the 800 be analytical without much coloration, and the same with the 800s. The 800s (due to its inherent bass boost compared to original 800) adds a little more weight to all the music. I feel like the amp gives more then enough power and control to both cans. Between the two I enjoyed the 800s more, but not surprising since the amp is neutral. I overall prefer more warmth to the music then more precise/analytical sound.

Audeze LCD 3- Keeps the sound in the dark like I have always heard the LCD 3 sound before. It keeps that natural characteristic. I once again don't tell if I am missing anything from the music.  Very curious to hear this headphone on dual mono... would like to know if I was missing anything in regards to added power.

"Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd- Between the LCD 3, HD800 and HD800s  I am partial to the LCD3.... I get more feeling of this combination. David Gilmour's voice seems to be more "real" to me. The 800 and 800s may be more technically proficient but I get a smoothness to his voice that is really enjoyable. I get better flow with the music with this combo (LCD3). 

Audeze LCD-XC, LCD 3 both connected- "My book of regrets"by Steven Wilson-  The LCD-XC is  really making me toe tap. I think the added bass quantity (compared to LCD3) is really getting me more into the music.

"Romantic warrior" by Return to Forever-  I prefer the LCD-XC.  I feel like the highs are more present and It just sounds snappier to me.

Day 2 and 3- I wanted to revisit both the LCD 3 and the LCD-XC (and other cans) but use a different DAC section to see the difference between DACs.  This time around I use the same setup minus the Questyle CAS was changed to Chord Hugo TT. I made the switch because I use the Hugo TT a lot for its DAC and know its sound well.

CMA800R Golden + Hugo TT-  After going from the CAS to the Hugo TT I like the LCD3 more with the Hugo TT combo then with the LCD-XC. I feel like the music is more natural and and closer to a vinyl sound with LCD 3 and this combo compared to LCD-XC.

"Bad Fish" by Sublime (Freaking love this track ha. not fantastic when it comes to recording but figured with Audeze it would be more then doable)  The LCD 3 and this chain it is really enjoyable... Very smooth sounding but the guitar is still crisp enough. Bass has good bump as well. For some reason I hear the LCD-XC being a little too bright for my tastes. Which surprises me...

Focal Utopia, Sony Z1R- "Trains" by Porcupine Tree (Shout out to @Stillhart for getting me back into them!) with the Uotpia at 3:18 the acoustic guitar mixed with the shaker sound and clapping sounds excellent.... I can pick everything apart and I love it. The Z1R doesn't fall far behind in detail but the presentation of the Utopia really lends its self fantastically to that part of the song. I am enjoying this combo of amp and DAC a lot both cans.

"Only the lonely" by Roy Orbison, off his Black & White Night Album (Thank you @Hansotek for this track)  In the beginning of the song you hear the audience cheering and clapping. With the Utopia I feel like I am right in the middle of them. Really cool effect and feels life like.  

Z1R and Ether Flow C- With this combo It is difficult for me to tell which headphone benefits the most from the set up. I did A/B between the two and couldn't tell. I think due to the neutral nature of the amp it would just depend on which can you like more. With the Hugo TT's coloration (if you would call it that) I figured that the Flow C would be fine but the Z1R might be too much flavor... kind of like a really warm amp on a really warm can (just an analogy) but it doesn't seem to be the case. I perceive both cans the way I always have.

Now for the ultimate sleeper hit!!!

Beyerdynamic T1 version 2-  Truly excellent with this combo... I feel like I get great detail and musicality with this amp/DAC combo.  I was very surprised actually, I figured the the T1v2 would need a lot warmer amp to just tame the highs slightly and make it more musical, on the contrary everything sounds fantastic. similar thing would be how I feel the HD800 needs a warm amp to make it more musical. But I love this combo a lot.

"Breakdown of Synergy" Ha

So off the bat, in a perfect world I would have the ultimate analytical yet musically engaging can. I feel that you are able to put pieces of gear together to try and get as close to that as possible, given the headphones properties. I almost don't want to even do a breakdown of "greatest to worst" since I feel like I will just confuse people into thinking that some cans sound "bad" with the gear. I only came across one can that I didn't like with the one chain but liked a lot with the other. (LCD-XC on the Questlye CAS DAC and CMA800R golden was awesome! but change the Hugo TT in the mix with it and I didn't like it as much.I Preferred the LCD 3 more with that chain.) BUT when it comes to enjoyment this is what I got out of it....

Utopia> T1v2> LCD 3 Then Z1R = Ether Flow C then HD800s >HD800 BUT LCD-XC?? (I hope you get confused from Z1R on, in the greatness scale ha.) It gets messy for me  trying to analyze all the info since I switched DACS... which i can admit skews results of synergy since I didn't get ample head time with all the cans using the CAS 192D Golden. ALSO I want to do more research about all the filters on the CAS 192D golden... 

At the end of the day(s) I think this is a really great amp... I always use the Questlye 600i when I A/B cans in the store and I plan on using the 800r Golden now for doing that. What I want to do now is use the CAS 192D Golden more as a DAC and go back and listen to the Z1R with that combo and the Utopia.

I hope this was interesting and beneficial at all to read. I want to point out that ALL gear used is on Demo to our customers in store and we encourage you  to come in and hear for your self!  At the end of the day It's just my opinion of what sounds good, so you listening to it will probably change the synergy scale ect ha.We are located in Pittsburgh and are having a meet up in the store March 24th and March 25th. You can find out more about the meet if you look up "Pittsburgh headphile" in the search bar. (don't think I am allowed to do direct links).

I am always open to conversation and enjoy talking with everyone. If you have any questions once again ask! if its off topic to the 800R golden then totally PM me.

-Craig

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #740 of 757
  [.../clipped]
  Utopia> T1v2> LCD 3 Then Z1R = Ether Flow C then HD800s >HD800 BUT LCD-XC?? (I hope you get confused from Z1R on, in the greatness scale ha)

Firstly, thanks a ton for taking the time to write up your impressions from the comparison, Craig. It's very nice to read through and the pictures were great.

I had 2 take aways:
1. I'm confused about your placement of the Z1R. So I guess that makes it a success.
2. Did you listen to the 800R Golden amps in full dual mono mode? I thought that was what you said going into the shootout, but from your write up I think that wasn't the case?

Just in regards to your mentioning about a toe tapping, musically fulfilling headphone:
One headphone I'm really growing more and more in touch with lately is the Pioneer SE Master-1. It's got a VERY good combination of technical ability and soundstaging, but it's also got very nice, deep, palpale bass. In the end, that makes it like a very nice, technically fulfilling musical headphone. I find those items don't usually go hand in hand, but the Pioneers really seem to have it all. 

The HE-6 are still my all time, bass slamming champ. Even after being out for 6-8yrs, those HE-6s are damn good headphones and still real contenders when they're played off the right amp. They're very resolving, have detailed mids, and great bass. Not the biggest soundstage, but I suppose that's where the SE Master-1s can fill in :wink:

Any experience with them?

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #741 of 757
Firstly, thanks a ton for taking the time to write up your impressions from the comparison, Craig. It's very nice to read through and the pictures were great.

I had 2 take aways:
1. I'm confused about your placement of the Z1R. So I guess that makes it a success.
2. Did you listen to the 800R Golden amps in full dual mono mode? I thought that was what you said going into the shootout, but from your write up I think that wasn't the case?

Just in regards to your mentioning about a toe tapping, musically fulfilling headphone:
One headphone I'm really growing more and more in touch with lately is the Pioneer SE Master-1. It's got a VERY good combination of technical ability and soundstaging, but it's also got very nice, deep, palpale bass. In the end, that makes it like a very nice, technically fulfilling musical headphone. I find those items don't usually go hand in hand, but the Pioneers really seem to have it all. 

The HE-6 are still my all time, bass slamming champ. Even after being out for 6-8yrs, those HE-6s are damn good headphones and still real contenders when they're played off the right amp. They're very resolving, have detailed mids, and great bass. Not the biggest soundstage, but I suppose that's where the SE Master-1s can fill in :wink:

Any experience with them?

1- you made me lol when i read that! So when I was trying to place my synergy favorites it got really difficult to scale the 5 headphones... I felt like due to the fact I didn't get to hear all of them on both chains, it wasn't really fair to compare them at all... so basically I just wanted to say that those 3 in the front (Utopia, beyer T1v2, and LCD 3)were stand outs synergy wise. But mind you the LCD-XC was better with the one chain then the other, relative to LCD-3. Also on top of it, take into effect diffrent songs I chose would sway my opinion between the last 5.

2- I only had the right demo cord for the utiopia to go dual mono, but didn't have any demo cords for the other headphones. (Didn't want to ask Mark to break out 6 other cords to make them all dual mono, even though I would love to hear it that way :wink: ). So instead when I did listen to the Utopia I made sure to just run it SE so to be fair for comparison sake... for the record the Gold stack running the Utopia dual mono is what we have people listen to if they want they are unfamiliar with quality sound ha. Let's them understand real quick what Hifi sound is.

I have yet to hear master 1 AND the HE6! I have always wanted to hear the HE6 in particular due to the praise. Master 1 I have less knowledge about.... but you do make me curious to hear it!

Jul 30, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #742 of 757
Thank you Craig for the information and review.

I have a Chord Dave and intrested in the goldern stack system and wondered if you or any ony has tried or has a veiw on using two mono blocks and or adding the preamp into the mix...?

I have LCD-4 headphones and use the Dave direct to the headphones and wondered what extra I could using the Questyle amps and or preamp, while the dave is very good at powering the LCD-4 as is ..?

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #743 of 757
Thank you Craig for the information and review.

I have a Chord Dave and intrested in the goldern stack system and wondered if you or any ony has tried or has a veiw on using two mono blocks and or adding the preamp into the mix...?

I have LCD-4 headphones and use the Dave direct to the headphones and wondered what extra I could using the Questyle amps and or preamp, while the dave is very good at powering the LCD-4 as is ..?
IMG_5051.JPG
This our demo Goldstack that I use in the store. We use both Nordost and Wireworld cables to utalize the amps, fully balanced and dual mono.

From what I hear from others in regard to the amp section of the Dave versus dual mono of the Questyle you should see a big improvement... the amp of the Dave does not compare to its amp section if that makes sense? I am not saying it's poor, it's just not as good as the DAC.

I could see what the synergy is like between the Utopia, dual amps, pre amp and Dave if you would like?

-Craig

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #744 of 757

This our demo Goldstack that I use in the store. We use both Nordost and Wireworld cables to utalize the amps, fully balanced and dual mono.

From what I hear from others in regard to the amp section of the Dave versus dual mono of the Questyle you should see a big improvement... the amp of the Dave does not compare to its amp section if that makes sense? I am not saying it's poor, it's just not as good as the DAC.

I could see what the synergy is like between the Utopia, dual amps, pre amp and Dave if you would like?

-Craig

Yes I agree that while the DAC part of the Dave is outstanding. The Preamp - Headphone section on Dave is unlikely to out perform the Questyle.
If you could do a quick listen to see what gain in the two amps and then two amps plus preamp it would be use full to know if you feel it's a worth the gain, I will demo a set.
There is likely to be a loss in transparency using more equipment but the gains may be more in other areas...?

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #745 of 757
I have finally reviewed the Gold Stack along with Chord DAVE.

Please let me explain I only interested in large changes micro dynamics for large cost is not what I am into.

At this price level both are good.

I wanted to make Dave sound better with my LCD4 headphones as my main Dave speaker system outperforms my headphone rig.

I have always been interested in The Questyle after purchasing a QPR1 so decided to take the plunge.

One thing I have discovered noise over network, when I disconnected Melco from the main network the noise level went down SQ went up, very big difference!

Using a laptop and standard mains both sounded similar ( again no micro dynamics ). Did not go further.

With Melco N1ZH ver 1 ( the source ) with Tours power supply the SQ improved monumentally worth the extra spend.

Dave plus Questyle mono amps were better than using the Questyle Preamp with the two mono amps, Dave with two mono amps gave the classic Dave signature and no colour very transparent. Worth the extra money? Not sure..? Could be..? Do you need the extra power..?

The full Gold Stack with the Melco and Torus oh gosh. The SQ, was the best I have experienced I wish there could be other people to experience and be subjective on the test.
Say sorry to say Dave was second perhaps it was my mood but since I have had Dave now for close to a year have a rough idea how it sounds.

What ever Questyle does it's magic..!

One thing I did find, Dave does not need a headphone amp IMO.

Sorry for the quick review.

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #748 of 757
I have finally reviewed the Gold Stack along with Chord DAVE.

Please let me explain I only interested in large changes micro dynamics for large cost is not what I am into.
At this price level both are good.
I wanted to make Dave sound better with my LCD4 headphones as my main Dave speaker system outperforms my headphone rig.
I have always been interested in The Questyle after purchasing a QPR1 so decided to take the plunge.

One thing I have discovered noise over network, when I disconnected Melco from the main network the noise level went down SQ went up, very big difference!
Using a laptop and standard mains both sounded similar ( again no micro dynamics ). Did not go further.
With Melco N1ZH ver 1 ( the source ) with Tours power supply the SQ improved monumentally worth the extra spend.

Dave plus Questyle mono amps were better than using the Questyle Preamp with the two mono amps, Dave with two mono amps gave the classic Dave signature and no colour very transparent. Worth the extra money? Not sure..? Could be..? Do you need the extra power..?

The full Gold Stack with the Melco and Torus oh gosh. The SQ, was the best I have experienced I wish there could be other people to experience and be subjective on the test.
Say sorry to say Dave was second perhaps it was my mood but since I have had Dave now for close to a year have a rough idea how it sounds.

What ever Questyle does it's magic..!
One thing I did find, Dave does not need a headphone amp IMO.
Sorry for the quick review.

Necro-post here. So in the end, did you sell the DAVE and replace it was a full Questyle Gold Reference stack?

I have a DSD DAC also and wonder if there'd be any magic/synergy between my T+A DAC 8 DSD and the Questyle Preamp + mono amps... I had taken these guys off my list, but I'm always left wondering about them...

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #749 of 757
Necro-post here. So in the end, did you sell the DAVE and replace it was a full Questyle Gold Reference stack?

I have a DSD DAC also and wonder if there'd be any magic/synergy between my T+A DAC 8 DSD and the Questyle Preamp + mono amps... I had taken these guys off my list, but I'm always left wondering about them...

I had the Questyle Gold Stack on load as needed a headphone rig and made a purchase a few months later. I had the Dave ( now with Chord Mscaler ) for a speaker system so I never intended to sell Dave.

Later there was a small fault on the Questyle so I returned the Unit for a refund..... but the combination was stellar.

Sorry I cannot advise on your T+A DAC 8 DSD synergy all I can say how the "Gold Stack" as a unit sounded to me and had synergy....but your DAC has volume control ( ? ) so perhaps you have no need for a preamp as I found a DAC with volume control sounds better than with an added preamp.....?

Note the Questyle does not have volume remote, using the preamp means a second set of XLR cables ( in my case 4 x Chord Sarum TXLR lots of extra cost ) and the DAC ( even if stellar SQ ) is a little old now.

I now am using a GSX headamp with Dave / Mscaler and switch back and forth between balanced GSX and SE Dave / Mscaler, balanced more musical and SE more transparent but slightly thin.

As a stop gap for the momnet I am using a Onkyo XP1 balanced into the GSX with good results and also USB OTG digital for the Dave/Mscaler note anyone using an OTG cable try a iFi Audio OTG cable for Micro USB

The IFI was a very large improvement and for the price a no brainer IMO.

Hope that helps....

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #750 of 757
I had the Questyle Gold Stack on load as needed a headphone rig and made a purchase a few months later. I had the Dave ( now with Chord Mscaler ) for a speaker system so I never intended to sell Dave.

Later there was a small fault on the Questyle so I returned the Unit for a refund..... but the combination was stellar.

Sorry I cannot advise on your T+A DAC 8 DSD synergy all I can say how the "Gold Stack" as a unit sounded to me and had synergy....but your DAC has volume control ( ? ) so perhaps you have no need for a preamp as I found a DAC with volume control sounds better than with an added preamp.....?

Note the Questyle does not have volume remote, using the preamp means a second set of XLR cables ( in my case 4 x Chord Sarum TXLR lots of extra cost ) and the DAC ( even if stellar SQ ) is a little old now.

I now am using a GSX headamp with Dave / Mscaler and switch back and forth between balanced GSX and SE Dave / Mscaler, balanced more musical and SE more transparent but slightly thin.

As a stop gap for the momnet I am using a Onkyo XP1 balanced into the GSX with good results and also USB OTG digital for the Dave/Mscaler note anyone using an OTG cable try a iFi Audio OTG cable for Micro USB

The IFI was a very large improvement and for the price a no brainer IMO.

Hope that helps....
Thanks for answering about all of that, it was a great update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back