Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp
Sep 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #17 of 757
I'm surprised as well.  My impressions of the Questyle amp is as a quality product.  And because of their current marketing ambitions, I don't think that you'll lack for factory support.

My inital impression is of remarkable clarity and detail, in line with their very low distortion spec. Probably the brightest of my current loop amplifiers, but maybe also the most expansive for note spacing and definition.  Engaging, nonetheless.  I don't think that you'll be disappointed, altho the CMA800 may not be good synergy with low impedance headphones.

Which Questyle model did you buy?  What headphones are you planning to use with it?  

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #18 of 757
  I'm surprised as well.  My impressions of the Questyle amp is as a quality product.  And because of their current marketing ambitions, I don't think that you'll lack for factory support.

My inital impression is of remarkable clarity and detail, in line with their very low distortion spec. Probably the brightest of my current loop amplifiers, but maybe also the most expansive for note spacing and definition.  Engaging, nonetheless.  I don't think that you'll be disappointed, altho the CMA800 may not be good synergy with low impedance headphones.

Which Questyle model did you buy?  What headphones are you planning to use with it?

I bought the CMA800. I will be using my HD800 headphones with it. Up to now, Questyle have been helpful. I have identified both internal fuses are blown. I checked the power rating was to the right setting before switching it on, so I know it wasn't that. I am waiting for them to get back to me regarding my suggestion to replace them.

I will keep you posted....

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #19 of 757
Well., the CMA800 and HD 800 is the combo that they designed the amp to.  Maybe the fuses were preblown by the ebay seller...  Is it supposed to be a brand new still sealed package amp direct from the factory?  If so, sounds like a bad short, like cut wire insulation to chassis.  They'll fix it if so, I'm sure.  Questyle wants good product perception at this stage.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #20 of 757
  Well., the CMA800 and HD 800 is the combo that they designed the amp to.  Maybe the fuses were preblown by the ebay seller...  Is it supposed to be a brand new still sealed package amp direct from the factory?  If so, sounds like a bad short, like cut wire insulation to chassis.  They'll fix it if so, I'm sure.  Questyle wants good product perception at this stage.

The Ebay seller claims it is brand new. According to Alden Zhao (Sales and Service Manager at Questyle), there should have been an AP graph with the unit showing it running at 220 volts for 48 hours. However, there was no graph or warranty card. I have to return the unit to them after their upcoming Public Holiday. They will then send me a replacement unit, after their next production run at the end of this month.

I will give an update when things start to move.

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #22 of 757

The Ebay seller claims it is brand new. According to Alden Zhao (Sales and Service Manager at Questyle), there should have been an AP graph with the unit showing it running at 220 volts for 48 hours. However, there was no graph or warranty card. I have to return the unit to them after their upcoming Public Holiday. They will then send me a replacement unit, after their next production run at the end of this month.

Well, not the start you wanted I'm sure, but should be straightened out easily enough. If it makes you feel any better, it really is worth the trouble. Very VERY impressive with HD800.

Curious about that one. Wonder how good it would be with HE-6?

Not so sure it would be an ideal pair. I don't have HE-6 but I'll test with HE-500, Thunderpants, and LCD-2 to see how it does with low impedance planars. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #23 of 757

Don't know about a warranty card; you're actually lucky to find some instructions in English
wink.gif
, but yes, there should have been an AP graph included.  I suspect some external tampering.  Probably sold you a demo unit he tried out before reselling.  Not to worry, the factory direct replacement will be worth it.

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #25 of 757
Maybe customs had something to do with it? I have experience with them losing documentation or even cables that I know for a fact had been in the box when it was sent.

This could be the case. What is very odd, I thought I would recheck everything, and the unit was still dead. I took both internal fuses out again and rechecked them and they were blown. However, when I put a circuit tester across the fuse holders (with no fuses in) it displayed a complete circuit. I suspect either that is the problem with my amp, or the fuses are there for display only!

The sticking point with returning the amp is now shipping, as they want me to pay all shipping costs, which would work out at nearly £300 both ways.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #26 of 757
Normal dealer warranty policy is for you to pay for shipping to, and they're supposed to pay for for return shipping in kind. That is, if you air freight it to them, they're obligated to air freight it back.

I think it's on the ebay seller, not Questyle, unless the seller compensates them.

If nothing else, since you bought a nonworking product off of ebay, you should be able to return it for refund within so many days (30?) per their guarantee. Then turn around and buy it directly from Alden. You'll probably need to do a bank wire transfer for payment.

Sep 20, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #27 of 757
Normal dealer warranty policy is for you to pay for shipping to, and they're supposed to pay for for return shipping in kind. That is, if you air freight it to them, they're obligated to air freight it back.

I think it's on the ebay seller, not Questyle, unless the seller compensates them.

If nothing else, since you bought a nonworking product off of ebay, you should be able to return it for refund within so many days (30?) per their guarantee. Then turn around and buy it directly from Alden. You'll probably need to do a bank wire transfer for payment.

The Ebay seller has agreed to pick up shipping charges both ways, so I will send it back in the next couple of days. I would like to thank you and jackal01 for keeping me thinking positive about all of this.

When the replacement arrives, I will give you my thoughts on its sound within the rest of my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back