Questions regarding the fit of CIEMs
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sipter

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have been using my new custom in ear monitors for a week now. And I have been having issues with either wearing the CIEMs properly or the fit of the CIEMs itself. Could anyone clarify this problem by answering some of the questions below?

When wearing the CIEMs do I have to push the CIEMs in as tightly as possible to ensure that no there is no air in the space? So far, I could push my right ear piece in and I would get the air being compressed in, but I couldn't do the same with my left ear piece. And does having a tighter seal mean better sound? (I felt it was a little bit better when I had it completely pushed in, but would love some input) I have to say though by pushing my right ear piece in as hard as I could, I started to feel a sense of headache, maybe due to compression? Lastly when I have the right earpiece completely pushed inwards I somehow find the need to push the left earpiece in as hard as I can too, is this a problem?

The past week has been more about fiddling with the seal rather than actually enjoying the music. Please help me out :frowning2: .

Note: The CIEM is acrylic. The audiologist also used a stack of cloth instead of a biting block, if I only knew better at the time. Absolutely livid after I found out. My friend also told me when wearing the CIEM I should just normally twist and it does not require any "pushing" at all, may I be doing something wrong? A refit is still possible.

Thank you for any input.

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 13
  Hello, I have been using my new custom in ear monitors for a week now. And I have been having issues with either wearing the CIEMs properly or the fit of the CIEMs itself. Could anyone clarify this problem by answering some of the questions below?

When wearing the CIEMs do I have to push the CIEMs in as tightly as possible to ensure that no there is no air in the space? So far, I could push my right ear piece in and I would get the air being compressed in, but I couldn't do the same with my left ear piece. And does having a tighter seal mean better sound? (I felt it was a little bit better when I had it completely pushed in, but would love some input) I have to say though by pushing my right ear piece in as hard as I could, I started to feel a sense of headache, maybe due to compression? Lastly when I have the right earpiece completely pushed inwards I somehow find the need to push the left earpiece in as hard as I can too, is this a problem?

The past week has been more about fiddling with the seal rather than actually enjoying the music. Please help me out :frowning2: .

Note: The CIEM is acrylic. The audiologist also used a stack of cloth instead of a biting block, if I only knew better at the time. Absolutely livid after I found out. My friend also told me when wearing the CIEM I should just normally twist and it does not require any "pushing" at all, may I be doing something wrong? A refit is still possible.

Thank you for any input.

Hi

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with customs.

First try searching youtube for how to insert custom headphones.  There are a couple of them on there, so that at least will tell you if you are in the right area at least.

I also found this page to be helpful as well :-

http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/how-to-correctly-insert-and-remove-your-custom-in-ear-monitors.html

So maybe worth a read.

From the sound of it though, it does sound as if the impressions were poorly taken.  A refit with those impressions may or may not solve the issue.  Either get in touch with the company who did your impressions and say that you would like them taken properly this time, at no cost to yourself (good luck with that one), or find somewhere else in your area that does them.

If you do decide to get them retaken have a read of this thread if you have not already :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit

Oh and this thread may also be of some use for general questions :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-check-first-post-for-review-links-information

Out of curiosity which ciems did you go with?  They should have had some instructions on the website you used to order from to print off and give to the audiologist.

Hope some of that helps anyway.

Good luck getting it all sorted.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 13
I don't think your problem is too uncommon, so don't overly worry about it. I can attest to having the same problem as you, and that's coming from owning 3 pair of CIEMs so far.

My left ear is always the problematic ear when it comes to getting a good seal. It has to do with the natural shape of my ear canals, which one of the audiologists who took my impressions described as being unusually 'spirally'. When I look at some of my friends and their CIEMs/impressions, a couple of them have ear canal shapes which are very straight. I've never heard them complain of fit, comfort or seal issues before.

Regarding to your discomfort wearing CIEMs, I too had this period of adjustment when I received my first pair of CIEMs. After a couple of weeks of consistent wearing, you'll likely get acclimatized to the feeling and not feel anything at all. However, this is also dependent on how 'deep' your CIEMs are made, and also under the assumption that your impressions were done without defect. My 2nd pair of CIEMs had the longest canals of the 3. It was made of hard acryllic, and it did cause me some intrusive discomfort on some instances when I had to put it on.

I don't think there's any difference between using a bite block or towel to be honest. I had my last set of impressions done whilst stuffing a finger in between my teeth. I was a little skeptical at first, but hey it turned out to be the best fitting CIEM I had in the end.

Regarding sonic performances, my personal finding is that having a good seal is essential for two main areas: bass and detail. A weak seal results in the bass losing some impact and body. With the loss in isolation, naturally the ability to block ambient noise and pick up the smallest nuances in music decreases.

Hope this helps!

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 13
I only have silicon ciems, but I find that say you are inserting the ciem into your right ear, take your left hand behind your head, and pull on the top of the right ear and insert. This provides a gap when you insert the ciems and seal after you have finished inserting, this gap reliefs the pressure.

Just like section 8 picture step 3, but the hand behind your head:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/basic-guide-to-in-ear-canalphones

It sounds like your ciems are giving you an excellent fit and seal.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 13
Bite block, cloth, open mouth (do you listen to IEM's with your mouth open?), closed mouth......I really think this part is all over rated.  I had my mouth closed but jaw NOT clenched.  Just like listening to music and mine were fine (acrylic).

No doubt everyone is a little different but but for me it is a pretty simple go or no-go fit.   They just sort of reverse corkscrew right into your ear canals.  There doesn't seem to be any in between fit at all.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 13
The "mouth open" impressions are necessary for singers to use on stage. If a closed-mouth, relaxed impression was used, they would be too loose to use while singing. The bite block is rectangular and in some of the recent pictures on here I see people biting on them the "long way." I had my Westones made with impressions made biting the "short way" and as a result, I can do any normal activity including eating and will not lose the seal. I can lose the seal in one ear if I crank my jaw a certain way, but that's a stress position.

If they are fitted correctly you shouldn't have to wonder about how far to push them in, they should just fit into the right place. Are you using Oto-Ease or something similar? It makes a huge difference to the quality of the seal. You don't have to use that brand (it's very overpriced), any kind of unscented "personal," water-based lube like KY can be used (a tiny amount, just enough to moisten it!!!). Even spit can be used in a pinch.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 13
  The "mouth open" impressions are necessary for singers to use on stage. If a closed-mouth, relaxed impression was used, they would be too loose to use while singing.

That is great common sense information.  I wonder how many audiologists even ask about the use for the IEM's......errantly fitting everyone the same way?

May 1, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 13
I got my Westone ES60 about 2 months ago. Both sides actually slide in really easy with no apparent fit issues. I do always feel the ES60 on the right side more. The left side feels like there is nothing there. The right side could feel a little discomfort at times, but it's subtle. The other day I rode the metro for over 2 hours round trip. During the return ride, I felt some pain on the right side and had to take them out. I think the canal portion may be slightly too tight, but it's so subtle that I can't even clearly identify where the problem is. I can still get it refitted, but I don't know how to describe exactly where the problem is. Any suggestions? Most times I just wear the ES60 for about 30 min at night before I go to sleep. Never have any issues.

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 13
Comply Wraps

I purchased some JH13 Pros and had similar problems: my left ear was a little tight, but my right ear was so tight that it was painful and I felt like I was underwater and could hear my heartbeat over the music.  I had a refit done by JH Audio which was somewhat better but still not satisfactory.  Finally, I tried some Comply wraps around the barrel of the CIEMs and my problem was solved.  They don't look great, but they do the trick: great seal, no pain, terrific sound.  It is the price that I had to pay for my strange ear canals.  Periodically, I remove the wraps, carefully clean the acrylic from the adhesive, and put on a new set of wraps.  

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 13
Hi, so I purchased a set of customs from JH Audio (JH10X3) and I've been having fit/seal problems with my left in-ear. It wasn't sealing properly (I could hear too much ambient noise). I told JH and sent it back with what I believed was causing this. It took a little over three weeks for me to receive it back and I'm still having the same problems. It doesn't seal and I have to push on the monitor to get the seal. It's very obvious to me that this is a problem and I'm not just overreacting. Just got off a call with JH and they want me to send it back again for another fit correction. The issue I have with this procedure is they want me to describe to them where the problem is. Yes, I am the person wearing this but I'm not an audiologist. I don't know if I can definitely tell them what area needs more/less material. I told the rep on the phone that at this point I'm fine just to take another impression to better get the problem fixed. I was told that if I did this then that they would have to make a new shell and that I could possibly incur a fee. The rep told me to send the monitor back first for another fit correction and if it's still not sealing then they will want a new mold taken and the will make a new shell free of cost. At the rate everything is going it will be another three weeks before I will receive the monitor back with no guarantee I still won't have issues. With all this going on my right monitor fits/seals perfectly, just struggling to get my left monitor to feel the same. This sucks. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 13
Hi this is an old thread but I am also new to customs. Been a universal but ventured into my first customs.

I just got my new JH Layla (see picture) customs for about a week. Fit on the right is perfect, just as what I understand customs to be. However for my left, it was unusually tight and removal did cause some pain. After a few wears, I noticed some roughness on left shell. Not sure if it’s due to the workmanship.

Contacted JH and they advised to send it back and to describe in details the issues for refit / sanding process. I have no issues with it if it can solve the issue, but it would take another 1 month before I get my customs back again. I guess that would be the so called intangible price you pay for customs. But I believe once you get the right fit and seal, it is superior to universals when it comes to isolation and comfort.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Hi this is an old thread but I am also new to customs. Been a universal but ventured into my first customs.

I just got my new JH Layla (see picture) customs for about a week. Fit on the right is perfect, just as what I understand customs to be. However for my left, it was unusually tight and removal did cause some pain. After a few wears, I noticed some roughness on left shell. Not sure if it’s due to the workmanship.

Contacted JH and they advised to send it back and to describe in details the issues for refit / sanding process. I have no issues with it if it can solve the issue, but it would take another 1 month before I get my customs back again. I guess that would be the so called intangible price you pay for customs. But I believe once you get the right fit and seal, it is superior to universals when it comes to isolation and comfort.
If possible it might be wise to get another impression of the right ear to send in to JH as well. Might also be an idea to take a photo and indicate where the problem spots are with it. Good luck with getting it sorted.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #13 of 13
Yup! Thanks for the advise. I will be meeting up with the sales distributor here in my country to see how best this can be sorted out. Since JH also assured me directly that it can be worked out.

Process to get a good fit on CIEM is indeed a long process!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back