Questions regarding the DAC and iPod classic
Mar 17, 2015 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ICONx

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and ever since I found it, I have become an HI-FIer (if it's ok to say)  :)
This is the the first time i post a thread, and I am so so sorry if I break any rules, if i did please PM me or just hit reply,THX

Now cut to the chase, I ve got a pair of se846 and currently using iPod classic + Onkyo HA200 with it, I have to say that it's
going very well for my ear, very comfortable wearing and amazing bass. But I don't understand if the Onkyo Ha200 could
somehow bypass the iPod's DAC by Line out w/ 30pin to usb? 
BTW, I do not understand the gain option, does it mean that if i use a high impedance head phones i should switch it to High
otherwise it should remain at low? Could high gain do any damages to low impedance IEMs?

Again, thank you.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm not sure that's possible. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the ipod Classic does not support digital audio using the 30 pin Camera Connection Kit.

The general rule of thumb is to use the lowest gain that provides a comfortable volume range for your headphones. If the gain is too high, it can cause audible noise and distortion. If using the high gain just makes your headphones louder without causing noise & distortion, then you're fine.

Update: Maybe I'm wrong about the Classic, this DAC says it supports the Classic:
http://www.hirestech.com/product/?pid=87

But, maybe you need the right DAC like the iStreamer and it's just that the CCK won't work? Sorry - I really don't know!

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the knowledge :wink:
Actually, I do not meant camera connection kit, I am currently connecting iPod w/ ha200 using the cable that can also transmitting data as well as charging the iPod. since Onkyo says ha200 is made for iPod and using usb to connect iPod could cause battery usage to shrink (compare to fiber connection or other connection w/ PO), I am thinking that maybe it's using DAC module instead of only using the AMP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back