Questions regarding music on airplanes
Oct 27, 2011 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gorgatron

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys,

So my father travels frequently for his work, I can't name the pair, but he uses Sennheiser headphones with noise cancelation.  I don't know that term for the unwanted noise on airplanes, but I recently purchased myself a pair of Klispch Image S4 earbuds. These earbuds apparently have -10dbi in noise isolation.

So my questions are:

1: Is the noise on airplanes a low or high frequency>

2: Would noise isolation prove to be better compared to noise cancelation?

My dad claims even with noise cancelation he has a hard time hearing from his iPod. I also figured the S4i would be perfect for him with the play/pause/volume control, and the built in microphone.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 9
Engine noise has both low and high frequencies but once you're in the plane, you can only hear the low rumblings (low freq). I would recommend the Shures if you're looking for noise isolating IEMs. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Engine noise has both low and high frequencies but once you're in the plane, you can only hear the low rumblings (low freq). I would recommend the Shures if you're looking for noise isolating IEMs. 

May you supply a link. What would you think of the Klipsch though? My dad likes a bunch of 80's music and from what I remember having that bass is nice.

Quote:
I'd recommend something with a tri flange tip, tri flange works pretty good for me, at least when I finally get them to fit.

is that the three pice tip that came with the s4?

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I'd recommend something with a tri flange tip, tri flange works pretty good for me, at least when I finally get them to fit.

I've never liked the tri-flange tips strictly from a comfort standpoint, but get great isolation using foam comply tips.  Of course some people can't stand sticking anything in their ears so it's all a personal preference.

And yes I prefer just good isolation over noise canceling sets.

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 9
have you tried the noise canceling headphone over the iem? the OP's 10 dB isolation is not really that much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back