Questions regarding iPod and LOD
Feb 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shoryuken

New Head-Fier
I have a iPod Nano 2G and have been using this with Sony MDR-EX55's for years now.

I've just made some purchases in hopes to upgrade and get better SQ for my Nano. Here's what I bought:

-NuForce NE-7M (mainly based off reading Headphoneaddicts review)
-eBay iPod LOD to 3.5mm adapter
-Fiio E5

I listen to a variety of music: Rock, Electronic, Hip-Hop, Pop. Still waiting for everything to come, but i'm hoping the NE-7M's was a good choice for my music!

I do have a question though. How much of a difference does the LOD make? Would using a LOD without the Fiio E5 amp (just nano -> lod -> headphones) increase the sound quality?

I guess I'll find out in a couple weeks when I can test it myself. Just hoping to hear some insight from other members! Sorry for the newbie questions, been reading a lot and it's hard to digest the information overload.
dt880smile.png

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 13
You need an amp. Either the one that feeds the headphone out socket or an external one plugged into the docking port via a LOD.

The difference between the built in amp ( using the headphone socket ) and an external LOD+amp can be amazing.

Steven.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 13
I have the same setup as you, except my iPod nano is a 1st generation. Yes, I agree that the LOD gives clearer sound than the headphone out. However note that the signal coming straight from the LOD is loud, as in uncomfortably loud, to me at least. And as said above, you can't control the volume of the LOD signal with the iPod.

So here's what I do: when using the AUX input on the car stereo, I use the signal straight from the LOD and adjust the volume with the car stereo's volume control. And then when using headphones or earphones, I use the LOD into the Fiio E5 and use the E5 to control the volume. Works great.

Feb 5, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 13
you should notice a slight increase in detail and clarity.

Its not night and day though....for that you gotta spend on a better portable amp and good LOD. Amp in my opinion would be the first to upgrade. Ive heard even CMOY sound better then the E5. Not to say the E5 is bad...just the CMOY seems to do it better. Its really not that much money difference either. If i needed something REALLY small, then i would get a E5. If you have big pockets (i actually mean big pockets, no wallet) and you can carry it...the added bulk of a good portable amp is worth it...at least to me. Everyones ears are different..

Whats you LOD made from? What connectors? In my personal opinion, LODs make a difference....quality of materials used and craftsmanship do matter. I have 2 LODs basically right now...one is a ALO Bling Bling and the other is a Headirect LOD with the 1/8th mini female on it, using a small mini to mini to connect to a amp. I did alot of A/B and noticed that the ALO was slightly better sounding then the Headirect. Its a very small difference though, which is why i say upgrade the amp first. Ebay LOD will get the job done...however, i think for a few extra bucks, you could of got something alittle better.

Im a snob for great sounding music now =)

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 13
they use that cable for microphones...its copper.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 13
Hey,
these are my first couple of days here. i just got my first pairs of TF10s for christmas (oh yes; i do love my girlfriend) and am looking for an opportunity to drive them to the edge (in terms of quality, not loudness). i just got this LOD at ebay (same product as this iPOD LINE OUT DOCK CABLE FOR HEAD PHONE AMPLIFIER - B4 bei eBay.de: Other (endet 12.02.09 06:20:57 MEZ)
iPOD LINE OUT DOCK CABLE FOR HEAD PHONE AMPLIFIER - B4).
However, I somewhere read that it's so easy to drive the triple.fis that an external amp is actually not needed. I'm using an 80gig Ipod Photo and the standard Sansa Clip 4GB. Would you say it makes that much of a difference? I'm a student living in germany so i don't know anyone who could just give me something to try out, so I'm eager to hear your supreme opinion!

Thank You already,

Chris

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #11 of 13
i would of went with a silver wire...normally gives more airy sound then copper.

Also, the cable looks long. I dunno, but to me i would of went with something smaller, easier to pocket if needed.

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 13
But copper has warmth and more lows. That's why I like a mixture of both! Copper for the signal, silver for the ground
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back