Questions regarding AD700's G35's
Jan 21, 2012 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I have some questions regarding Logitech G35's, I use to own a pair before I sold it and replaced it with a pair of AD700's.
I used Realtek ALC883? on board sound.

Now I only used the G35's for playing COD4 promod. 
I never installed any of the drivers, I just plugged the G35 in and used windows audio controls. I set the windows configuration to Stereo Headphones, and had the surround sound switch on the G35's turned off, even though without the drivers I don't think it made any difference.
I also had the sound options in COD4 set to Stereo.

Now, the sound from these G35's weren't the best, but the positional accuracy I achieved in game was amazing, I could pinpoint people through walls very easily. I thought upgrading to a pair of AD700's would improve on this but with the same settings I was sadly disappointed.

So now some questions, as I understand it the G35 uses USB and almost has a sound card built in with some Dolby technologies. 
Since I did not install any drivers and had the Surround sound option switched to off, would the Dolby technologies inside the G35's be processing any sound coming from COD4 or not?
If you believe the answer to be no it wouldn't be processing anything because the drivers haven't been installed and the switch is set to off, WHY oh why did my in game sound so perfect accuracy/positional wise with them!?
Also if the technologies aren't being utilized why did my G35's sound better than these AD700's with exactly the same configuration?

Not sure if this helps but COD4 uses DIRECTSOUND, so certain technologies like EAX have no or limited effect.

I am still researching for the best sound card to couple with these AD700's to play COD4 with, I only care about positional accuracy (ie hearing almost exactly where your enemies are either from footsteps, guns firing) What are your recommendations?

If I have missed anything please ask and I will try my best to answer, oh and I am on Windows xp pro.
Cheers.

PS: I am ONLY looking to achieve good accurate sound in game with this setup. Everything else comes after.

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 9
I read the thread you linked me too. Not sure why you posted it though as it doesn't answer any of my questions and I already said the sound quality is horrible.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 9
I respect your opinion, although from that thread I posted it would seem me and the others in that thread would disagree. 

But hey, if you think the AD700's sound quality is "horrible" ... so be it, that's your opinion, and we all hear differently!

Happy listening!

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 9
If CoD4 used DirectSound3D, then EAX would be very much in effect if the calls are there (and EAX 1 and 2 are part of DirectSound3D itself)...only thing is, if the pre-release demo is anything to go by, they switched to fully software-processed FMOD.

Yes, I'm well aware of my PC gaming audio APIs.

However, with everything set up that way-Windows speakers set to stereo headphones, G35s with Dolby Headphone off and no drivers, and CoD4 set to stereo-it would seem that you are indeed gaming in pure stereo. Yet you claim to be able to pinpoint sound so effectively, which is the very reason most of us go through the trouble of using CMSS-3D Headphone and/or Dolby Headphone in the first place!

If CoD4 is the only game you care about, then X-Fi cards don't have much, if any, of an edge over all the C-Media cards out there (most notably Asus' Xonar line, of which the DG is only $30!). On the flip side, if you do actually play anything that uses DirectSound3D or OpenAL, you'll get more positioning with the X-Fi and CMSS-3D Headphone, but the cheapest readily-available X-Fi card that isn't a fake is the $60 X-Fi Titanium.

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 9
Hey Nameless,
From what I have read COD4 does not use DirectSound3D it only uses DirectSound. 
The whole reason why I created this thread was because I too was baffled why without drivers installed, and surround sound off the G35's were much much more accurate in game and I could pinpoint enemies much more effectively than with these AD700's and the same settings.
How can I find out if COD4 multiplayer uses FMOD? 

It is very weird that I stumbled upon a pure stereo setup which gave me the biggest sound stage/accuracy in pinpointing enemies. What's even more weird is with the G35's switched with my AD700's the AD700's do a worse job.

If I were to get a sound card purely for COD4, do you think I would see much of a difference between say the Asus Xonar DG, DS and DX?

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I respect your opinion, although from that thread I posted it would seem me and the others in that thread would disagree. 

But hey, if you think the AD700's sound quality is "horrible" ... so be it, that's your opinion, and we all hear differently!

Happy listening!

Maybe if you read my original post you would understand I wasn't calling the AD700's sound horrible but the G35's. My only issue with the AD700's is they don't perform as well as the G35's with the same setup/settings. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 9
You need to get used to them for one thing.  Their soundstage is totally different than the G35's which your brain is wired for.  Once you get used to the AD700's you'll appreciate the improved sound, and get used to how they present positional audio to your brain.  

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 9
I understand your point, but I have been using the AD700's for over a month now. Yes, it did improve slightly, but it is still not nearly comparable to the G35's.
Personally, I think when I get a sound card things will change. I just want to know if the G35's on board sound still processes even if I haven't installed the drivers?
Does it install anything automatically when you plug in the G35's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back