Questions-original LaRocco PPA/Diamond Buffers
Apr 17, 2008 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

buzzlulu

Headphoneus Supremus
I have decided to dust off my headphone system which has been dormant for the last 4 years. I just sold my HD650's and replaced them with a new pair of RS1's - and I am MUCH happier in the process.

I purchased one of the first PPA's from LaRocco back in December of 2003 and waited for one of the first sets of Diamond Buffers. The amp came with an Elpac wallwart.

How is this amp considered today - still good? Is there anything which I can do to it - I would imagine a power supply would be the first thing to consider. If so then which one and where to source it? I would not think from LaRocco as I have recently been doing some reading here (after being away for several years) and see that Larry is having quite a few problems.

Thanks
Gregg

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 4
To my ear, your amp is a very fine sounding one, especially for Grados. The first obvious improvement for it is a 24V PSU. My ear always favored the OPA627 for three-channel headphone amps (PPA and M^3), but that could just be me. Plenty of other folks have weighed in preferring an AD opamp for their PPA. I honestly don't know of a for-pay amp builder who would accept the custom job of a PSU only, without an accompanying amp. I've never asked thrice (Rockhopper Audio) or naamanf to build me a PSU-only, so they've not yet turned down the offer. Perhaps a WTB thread in the Cables, Power FS/FT forum would draw a taker. I know from experience the really nice difference that going from an Elpac 24V PSU to a STEPS 24V PSU made. To my ear, the difference was well worth the price of the STEPS PSU. I've never heard an amp powered by a Beta22 PSU, so I can't comment on that one. Good luck.

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply.

What is the Steps 24v power supply? Is it a commercially available unit or a DIYer? Any leads on where to source one?

Thanks
Gregg

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 4
The STEPS is a DIY PSU that Tangent has published how to make on his site: Tangent Easy Power Supply

You'd need for one to be built for you. I've already offered my best suggestions for finding a willing builder. Perhaps someone else can offer more suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back