Questions On Little Dot Reliability
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jamil

Head-Fier
I bought a Little Dot MK8 SE back in August. I was happy with it and listened to it daily.

Just two days ago in the afternoon, I lost all audio output from it. I made several attempts to resolve the issue that all failed. There was absolute silence from both PHONES1 and PHONES2 output jacks. I powered it off then removed the bottom panel to see one visible burnt and damaged resistor at the top center of the circuit board. I also noticed burn damage on the same circuit board on a solder joint indicating component damage on the opposite side of the same circuit board. My unit died after only two months of usage.
It's covered under warranty and shipped for repair now. I am surprised by this failure though with such short usage time.

I am curious on the general reliability of these headphone amps. Can these units withstand the test of time?

Oct 31, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 4
My Little Dot MK8 SE has been with the repair shop now for over one week. I called for information regarding the damage to learn that four resistors must be replaced in the unit. One is completely destroyed and black. They suspect that the destroyed one resulted in three others becoming burnt and damaged. That is four total resistors that must be replaced. They cannot start the repair until they get information from Little Dot in China. I am getting no response from Little Dot now either.

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 4
I’ve had a LD II++ in my amp rotation for many years now and it’s been a rock. I had a tube failure when I first got it and David from little dot promptly sent me out four new tubes.
Even though I’ve built a crack and also have a WA2 I still bounce in and out of the LD because it’s really good with certain headphones and music styles. Plus I have a bunch of tubes to roll with it.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 4
Don’t know about the Mk 8, but I’ve had my Mk III for about ten years now, without a single problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back