Questions. Lots of Them.
Jun 16, 2008 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

zazz+54321

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone

I'm on mission to find a decent portable rig:
I listen to almost everything (about 800 albums, all in WAV format) - running the gamut from classical to punk, with a little rap thrown in. I currently have an iPod Classic, that I use with both Shure 210s, and a pair of Etymotic ER6s. I dislike both of them - I find that the Shures don't have enough resolve in the bass for me, and the Etymotics sound just the slightest bit too cold to me. It doesn't help that I find IEMs uncomfortable...

I am really looking to get the most from my iPod, so I was wondering if the following would result in something that would hopefully get my foot tapping:

iPod -> LOD(I need recommendations for one - looking to spend about $60) -> Headroom Total Airhead -> Audio Technica ATH-ES7s

Is this combo in the right range for something that would be warmer than my Etymotics, have resolved bass, and have pretty accurate detailing? I know, this won't compete with a much more expensive rig - I'm not asking in terms of that - but in comparison with what I currently have?

Last Question (I promise..) If I did get all of this - could I still use the ATH-ES7's on their own with the iPod, just for a more portable setup, when I feel like putting my music in my pocket, instead of my bag?

Thanks
Taylor

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 2
hi, i just bought the es7's about a week ago.
i use a ipod classic too, ummm just a a cheap LOD, hopefully something better on the way, and a meier XXS

the es7's have quite a bit more kick in the bass end, so i think you'll be hpapy with them, they need a good burn in to sound their best.

its quite a bit better amped, but unamped it's still acceptable for on the go listening, i use it like that when i study,

just make sure you do the headband mod and maybe the wire in the earcups too and the comfort improves drastically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back