questions for tyle, and all of the headroom staff
Aug 15, 2009 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

auradud3

100+ Head-Fier
to begin allow me to say thank you for getting me into my current rig, it is the rs1i with the ultra desktop amp, cardas 15' big red's and the kimber 15' usb, it sounds much better than i can sometime believe, but i do have more questions, my main source is my 2009 macbook pro, and the new quality of fidelity really can leave some cd's sounding poor, between the cans and the amp everything is laid out i front of me, good or bad, is there a more preferred way to rip over i tunes? plus now that i have what i have, does the staff at headroom recommend any upgrades? i have the cables, cans and amp, anything else, i am far from a newb, but!! there is always room for improvement. plus is it possible to buy any of the moulded heads you guys use to display your cans in your site? thanks, a long time and loyal customer.

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by auradud3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my main source is my 2009 macbook pro, and the new quality of fidelity really can leave some cd's sounding poor, between the cans and the amp everything is laid out i front of me, good or bad, is there a more preferred way to rip over i tunes?

I use CDex or Exact Audio copy, but I don't think they run on Macs. Ask the question in the computer audio section here.

Quote:

plus now that i have what i have, does the staff at headroom recommend any upgrades? i have the cables, cans and amp, anything else, i am far from a newb, but!! there is always room for improvement.

I'd suggest another set of headphones, the other gear you have should satisfy for a good while. Not saying the RS1 is bad (though it's not my cup of tea), just that headphones are a relatively cheap/high bang-for-buck add-on.

Maybe the Senn 650 for a completely different sound than the Grados, or the Dennon D-2000---amazingly resposive. HD800s if you've got the dough.

Lots of choices, ask around; go to a meet.

Quote:

plus is it possible to buy any of the moulded heads you guys use to display your cans in your site? thanks, a long time and loyal customer.

It's actually a $4000 microphone.

Aug 15, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 32
I'd suggest another set of headphones, the other gear you have should satisfy for a good while. Not saying the RS1 is bad (though it's not my cup of tea), just that headphones are a relatively cheap/high bang-for-buck add-on.

what do you mean by this??

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

what do you mean by this??

Not to speak for Tyll, but, well he'll correct me if I get this wrong. I think he means you are reaching the point of diminishing returns with respect to the electronics and cables. To jump to the "next level" you likely will need to spend a lot more money to eke out 10% more performance (give or take). On the other hand, you could spend far less money on a headphone with a vastly different sound signature (e.g., Sennheiser HD650 or 800) and have a very different and satisying music experience than with what you are currently using. In other words, you have an excellent foundation for your rig. Now go try some different 'phones.

What are you currently using as a DAC? You mention that you are using your Mac as a source. Are you feeding that directly to the amp, or do you have a DAC in the chain? If not, that's your next purchase.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 32
the ultra desktop amp, whish has the ultra desktop dac integrated. and thanks for your input, the previous answer from tyll kinda sounded like the rs1i's were not a very good purchase.

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

the ultra desktop amp, whish has the ultra desktop dac integrated. and thanks for your input, the previous answer from tyll kinda sounded like the rs1i's were not a very good purchase.

I don't think Tyll was saying this -- he meant that RS1's weren't his particular cup of tea. They may be yours, though. Grados in particular have a sound signature that is rather unique to some degree, and may not appeal to everyone. You have a very nice set-up, and since you were requesting suggestions for an upgrade, the headphone itself (not cables, etc) are the way to go, since they have the most influence on what you directly hear. Compared to speakers, headphones are relatively "cost-effective" transducers, but like everything else, you do tend to get what you pay for. My recommendation would be to try a few of the other "high-end" phones sold by HR - Senns, AKG, etc. - and see if you like them better. Many people actually start a collection of phones - you may like the RS1's with some music, whereas another phone works better with another genre. If you do have some bucks to spend, I would strongly recommend the new Senn HD800's -- I have them myself -- they are really extremely good and would match very well with your UltraDesktop.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 32
thanks for the info, so far i just love the grados, i like an analytical sound, the senns are so laid back, cant speak for the 800's though, and i just might start looking around, it might be nice to have a few for different music. thanks guys

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 32
I recentely purchased myself a pair of HD650 to get a different sound from the beloved RS1. I also got the AHD5000 by the way...
anyway, I use it with my main rig which is the ultra micro stack. my next upgrade is going balance all the way.
I will start with the ultra balanced desktop amp and than, if i will love the balanced sound I will probably also get the ultra dac.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 32
I noticed your original post said USB cable to the DAC...you may want to try an optical cable and see if that is an improvement. Fifteen feet is supposed to be about the max length for a USB cable, so it's possible that's an issue.

Also, assuming that you ripped the CDs to Apple Lossless or WAV files (for maximum quality), you might want to make sure that the EQ in iTunes is shut off. I've noticed a drop in sound quality when the EQ is turned on. I myself forgot the last time I had to rebuild my PC and re-install iTunes. I'm pretty sure it's "on" by default.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 32
When I upgraded from my Fubar III dac/amp combo to the Spitfire DAC/Micro Amp combo, I was really impressed. There was improved detail and energy to the music through my HD650's (my only high end cans at the time). The overall listening experience was definitely better. I then went for the Ultra Micro Stack. My technical side was impressed again with the improved detail. However, my practical side didn't really experience a genuinely significant improvement in overall enjoyment with the music. This latter upgrade was more of a technically fascinating experience. I was hearing details I hadn't heard before, but which didn't really add much to the overall enjoyment since the HeadRoom sound signature remained pretty much the same from Micro to Ultra Micro. An important milestone had been reached.... I had personally witnessed the onset of my point of diminishing returns. Additionally, and quite importantly, my curiosity had also been satisfied.

I decided to stay put with the Ultra Micro stack and explore the world of cans a bit. It's been rapid since. The sound of the various cans are very significantly different. They change the flavour of the sound so much that it does impact on the overall experience and enjoyment of my music. As I've gotten acquainted with the Denons, Grado's and my HD650's, I'm now seeing where they each have their strengths, turning some genre's and particular CD's into more fulfilling listening experiences.

I've since ordered an Ultra Desktop Amp which I'll use at home and move my Ultra Micro Stack to work. I'm beginning to yearn for the *real* mojo at work.
evil_smiley.gif
I don't know which I'll have at work, i.e., the 325is' or the RS2i's. I'll be enjoying those for a while until my wallet recovers from what has been a most devastating experience in a while.
frown.gif
My wife is not happy!!
redface.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 32
since your running a mac use the optical output. start with that and see where you end up. also before you launch itunes open the midi control panel and tell it you want 24bit 96khz out the optical port. then launch itunes it will upsample your stuff for you and send it to the dac. this would be a big upgrade for the price of a toslink cable.

then see how it sounds. you can also set for upsampling and use the analog output for headfones directly on the mac but you can't upsample and send to usb.

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've since ordered an Ultra Desktop Amp which I'll use at home and move my Ultra Micro Stack to work.

Coming from relatively the same direction, I'd be very interested in hearing your impressions of the Ultra Desktop once you get it settled in. Please drop a line sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back