Questions for Canon Speedlite owners.
Aug 20, 2009 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
I think a 430ex II or 580ex II is in my future, but I have some stupid questions that are holding me up.

I currently own a 40d with 28-135mm, 50mm f 1.8 , and hopefully a wide 11-16mm Tokina f 2.8 in the near future.

The main one is, what can I expect from these flashes?

I take a lot of indoor photos, concert photos, portraits of people and pets, and night scenes of medium to landscape distances. I rarely use the built in flash, I prefer wide open with 800-3200 iso. The real colors make the grain worth it for me.

I've read about their features and capabilities and looked up comparison shots online, but I don't really know what to expect with types of photos I shoot.

Regardless will I find a nice flash to be a useful tool as my photography skills improve? Or should I look at a new lens instead?

Thanks,
Wyatt

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 3
These flashes are incredible, IMO. I have used the canon's and the nikons, and they are both really easy to use, and give you great exposures with no fuss at all. The Nikon portable flash system is better because you can use multiple flashes with no extra equipment, but both companies exposure systems seem to be just about as good.

If you don't want that flash look, you can just turn them down, and it will let you bring your iso down enough that you can print them decently. Also, you can get great effects by playing with longer exposures with the flash to freeze some of the motion.

Aug 22, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 3
For what you shoot, a flash will change your life. All the shots you did on ISO 800+ you will be able to do at ISO 100. Plus, bouncing the flash, off-camera cords and/or transmitters, and using diffusers will make the lighting very even and give you incredible control over your shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back