Questions/comments about my new HD25, sound sig etc.
Jun 11, 2008 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Oya?

500+ Head-Fier
Hi HF,

Just thought I'd update, I was asking about D2000s recently because there were a few $200 ones up for grabs on eBay. Unfortunately they were long gone (as of this writing) by the time I made up my mind. But I did sort of re-evaluate my needs and I thought I needed something 1) smaller than the Denons 2) isolated more 3) leaked less. The last 2 points I'm only able to gather from people's impressions, do stop me if I'm wrong. I ordered a pair of HD25-1s from eBay, arrived today.

My question is, as this is my first experience with Sennies, how representative of the Sennheiser sound is the HD25s? As in, how comparable is the signature to HD580/HD600/HD650? These are my new go-everywhere phones (sorry MS-1!), but I'd like a nice open back phone for home use esp. when I invest in proper amplification. Would I enjoy the higher ends Sennies if I liked the HD25? Of course it's always best to audition them myself, it's a bit difficult finding places to do that in Auckland but I'll have a look around. It'd be nice to have your inputs though.

Oh, I don't think the HD25 appreciation thread has had much love recently. But in case anyone's interested, I think the HD25s are very comfortable (they clamp the top of my ears less than the Alessies, esp. when I'm wearing my glasses which is very welcome!). I was worried certainly because a lot of people didn't seem to think so (one described them as a torture device). But then again, I found the Alessies comfortable enough to sleep in lol (can't roll over though obviously because that'd cover the grills). The pleather pads warm up faster than the velours they included. The sound is a bit muddy with the velours, is this normal? Also was curious about people's impressions on the steel cable so I ordered an HD600 cable. At least even if the sound doesn't change much it'd be nicer to wear both the entries going down, the cable groove in the headband digs into the current cables, damaging the sleeves (a rather serious design flaw).

The base was definitely overpowering when I plugged it straight out of the box. Only took about an hour of listening to get used to it, I think I'm in love with it now! Listening to some of my Muse albums now.
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry I can't really describe my impressions in more detail, except for 'I like them'.

Thanks for reading.

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 19
i find that the HD25-1 are quite forward compared to the rest of my (17) collection. The bass is deep enough to satisfy my 'basshead' needs. but overall they are quite bright sounding things, but i've had mine for 11 years and i love 'em.

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 19
11 years is a long time! I hope mine will last the journey, they sure look up to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

What genres would you say these excel at? Or an all rounder? I was listening to my albums on the go today and Daft Punk started playing, was much more enjoyable than they were on the MS-1s, makes me want to hunt out more electronica/dance. I've never been a fan of the genre particularly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find that the HD25-1 are quite forward compared to the rest of my (17) collection. The bass is deep enough to satisfy my 'basshead' needs. but overall they are quite bright sounding things, but i've had mine for 11 years and i love 'em.

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 19
Hey, i'm in Auckland too, about to order the MS-1s... Can you tell me where you got the sennheisers from? Just so i have the option. Not that i really need another decision to make! :p

Jun 12, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 19
I ordered it from an eBay store, was $180US, total with shipping + insurance was $218US.

And +1 for the Alessies! Absolutely awesome value and delicious free shipping too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, i'm in Auckland too, about to order the MS-1s... Can you tell me where you got the sennheisers from? Just so i have the option. Not that i really need another decision to make! :p

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that. Just about everyone seems to like them
smily_headphones1.gif
Enjoy your new headphones!

No problem. You'll love them too.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've lent the MS-1s to quite a few friends who aren't into headphones or hi-fi, they're a crowd pleaser.

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 19
IMHO if you like the HD-25 you'll like the HD650 and HD600 too. They have a lot of similarities, but the HD-25 are easier to drive. You'd need a decent headphone amp to drive the 6xx though.

Rgrds

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO if you like the HD-25 you'll like the HD650 and HD600 too. They have a lot of similarities, but the HD-25 are easier to drive. You'd need a decent headphone amp to drive the 6xx though.

yup

HD25's are all rounders,
they have a vaguely similar sound signature to the HD650,
but they're hardly comparable,
HD650's slay them in every way.

But I love my HD25-1's.
I had a great eargasm with them last nite while listening to Vibesquad dancing on the mainstreet of my town.
(yes I randomly start dancing when I hear some good glitch-hop/psytrance)

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 19
I dunno, I think the HD-25's are heavily overrated... They don't do anything bad, they don't do anything great either... Theres nothing special about them in my opinion. But hey, if you're happy with them, thats all that matters.

Also if you thought the HD25's were bassy with the stock cable, wait till you get your HD600 cable :p

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Rgrds

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yup

HD25's are all rounders,
they have a vaguely similar sound signature to the HD650,
but they're hardly comparable,
HD650's slay them in every way.

But I love my HD25-1's.
I had a great eargasm with them last nite while listening to Vibesquad dancing on the mainstreet of my town.
(yes I randomly start dancing when I hear some good glitch-hop/psytrance)

Maybe I'll ask around about amp advice closer to the date.
wink.gif
I was originally thinking of just selling my 2Move and grabbing a Zero since it's so cheap, might not be ideal but would be a step-up from a portable and I could use the DAC for a standalone amp later.

Are the HD580/600s easier to drive than the 650?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno, I think the HD-25's are heavily overrated... They don't do anything bad, they don't do anything great either... Theres nothing special about them in my opinion. But hey, if you're happy with them, thats all that matters.

It's certainly a tough niche to fill, well-isolating portables that sound good. I'm not too thrilled with IEMs anymore, so this is a lifesaver.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I'll ask around about amp advice closer to the date.
wink.gif
I was originally thinking of just selling my 2Move and grabbing a Zero since it's so cheap, might not be ideal but would be a step-up from a portable and I could use the DAC for a standalone amp later.

Are the HD580/600s easier to drive than the 650?

It's certainly a tough niche to fill, well-isolating portables that sound good. I'm not too thrilled with IEMs anymore, so this is a lifesaver.
biggrin.gif

The 2Move should drive the HD600 quite well. Some people say the HD650 are harder to drive, but I disagree. IMHO the 650 are more colored, less flat in their freq response curve, and need more workarounds to sound right.

As I see it, the HD25 are probably the only closed portable cans that offer a quite neutral response and are versatile enough to play any music you may like.

Rgrds

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 19
Good to hear that they're not too finicky about amping. Actually I was planning to sell my 2Move in a bit so I have some extra cash to play around with, recently I've only used them running from mains on my desk. I guess carrying around a portable amp strapped to my iPod just got old real fast.

Quote:

The 2Move should drive the HD600 quite well. Some people say the HD650 are harder to drive, but I disagree. IMHO the 650 are more colored, less flat in their freq response curve, and need more workarounds to sound right.

As I see it, the HD25 are probably the only closed portable cans that offer a quite neutral response and are versatile enough to play any music you may like.

Rgrds

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #14 of 19
Surprisingly the HD600 don't sound bad directly from an iPod or my soundcard's built-in headamp, just lack SPL. There are more demanding cans that seem to play louder unamped but sound way worse than they'd do properly amped.

I haven't listened to the 2Move, but if it's more or less the same as the Move, it's a decent amp to get some nice music from the HD600.

Rgrds

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #15 of 19
My Move doesn't have any trouble driving all my phones so you should be fine going with 2Move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back