Questions: advice needed on new canalphones
Feb 7, 2006 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pcmike

Head-Fier
About a month ago I bought a 5G IPOD video and Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro, I loved the quality of the sound I got from using both of these devices together.. simply the best audio I've ever heard (I've only ever used regular Sony DJ headphones before). Anyhow, since then I've gotten rid of the IPOD and the UEs, the reason behind that is neither here nor there.

Anyhow, I'm looking to get another set of canalphones to keep in my bag for general purpose all around use (computers, mp3 players, etc). My problem is that I really loved the UE Super.fi 5 Pro and I'm thinking of just getting the same thing again, but on eBay this time. However, over the past few days I've really been looking into Shures (specifically E3C and E4C). No one seems to have any of these two canalphones in stock for me to try out! What I'm really looking for here is someone who has tried the UE Super.fi 5 Pros as well as the Shure E3C and E4C. I'd like to know how these three canalphones compare amongst one another. I listen to absolutely every style of music except for jazz and country... everything else is fair game. Some other information I'm interested in is the hardware advantages of these three canalphones (what drivers do they all use and which is better in that regard)? Also, one more thing.. I know with the UE Super.fi 5 Pros I can't get custom molds and that with the E3Cs I can, but can I also get custom molds for the E4Cs?

Bottom line: I'm looking for comparisons between the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro, Shure E3C, and the Shure E4C... can someone please help me out!
580smile.gif

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 7
Wow, already off the first page and only 21 views. I've done a few searches and read a few threads, however I've never seen someone compare these particular models to one another. Please guys, your help is needed!
plainface.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 7
Yes, you can get custom molds for the E4.

As for a comparison of the E3/E4/5Pro, here's a recent thread that focuses more on the latter two, but talks about the E3 a bit. There are a lot of E4 vs. Superfi 5Pro threads that might help you as well.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161776

I've never used the E3, but have used both the E4 and the 5Pro. Here's my two cents:

The E4 is detailed and balanced. The build quality and ergonomics deserve high marks as well. It is comfortable and stays in really well while exercising, and I'm still playing around with this, but it seems that the bone conduction can be further reduced with the deep-insertion triple flange tip.

The 5Pro also has an excellent sound; however, I find that when compared to the E4, the 5Pro is less detailed and has greater quantities of base. The quality of the E4's base is superior, however. On complex pieces of music, the 5Pro sounds a bit "muddy" when compared to the E4. With the E4, you can hear every instrument, every note, every voice in such a way that you can follow the melody, harmony, anything - it's "quicker" (which may be a function of decay time?). The E4's base is energetic and accurate, but does not overpower the mids and highs like the 5Pro's can do at times.

I purchased the E4 and 5Pro at the same time to compare them. The store where I bought them gives you 30 days to demo most of their products. Out of the box, I liked the 5Pro better. The insertion of the 5Pro was easier to master, and they sounded great! The E4's sounded tinny because I wasn't inserting them right, and they were also not so comfy for the same reason. I began to experiment with the different sleeves for each - and I found that with the foamies, the E4 had great sound in general and great base. So then knowing what the E4 was capable of, I finally found the small flex sleeve to be a great and comfortable fit for me.

The medium flex sleeve on the 5Pro was the only one that fit well for me, and it sounded great with it. The cord seemed a bit fragile and was a little shorter than the E4's, which is sturdier and longer. I also really did not like the memory wire - it was more hassle than it was worth. It made storage a bit more involved, and seemed easy to break. It's both absent and unnecessary on the E4. The 5Pro I had suffered some build problems as well. Two weeks after receiving them, the 5Pro's left earpiece stopped working. That was probably just a fluke - I got my money back instead of exchanging, because by that time I was really digging the E4.

The E4 and 5Pro seem to have the same range. I say "seem" because I don't really know how high the highest highs in my music collection go, nor do I know how low the lowest lows go. I do listen to a wide range of music, however - so both will satisfy methinks. Also, my ears are another factor. I consider myself to have good hearing, but everyone's different. Since base seems to be a picking point for comparison of these two earphones, I will say that on Mussorgsky's "The Hut on Fowl's Legs" both were able to hit even that lowest note near the middle of the piece. The same goes for Evanescence's "Bring Me to Life." Obviously the 5Pro emphasized these more, but the E4 listen was more balanced and also enjoyable.

To conclude, the E4 really won my ears over. It's not the the 5Pro is bad - most all of my comments above are either personal preference, splitting hairs for the sake of comparison, or both. For example, the 5Pro doesn't sound "muddy" in the absolute sense, or when compared to, say a pair of iPod earbuds; it's just that the E4 is that much clearer. The sturdiness of the E4 was also a big plus for me, as I intend to use it while rollerblading and commuting. Conversely, if you're always going to be listening at home, either earphone will do in that respect. And since I am seen in public with them, the deeper insertion and more refined look of the E4 is icing on the cake.

Headroom is the place I bought my earphones - they have that nice 30 day risk-free return policy. So give the E4 a whirl since you're already familiar with the 5Pro - who knows, you might just love it.

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Wow dux, thanks for that very informative post. I really appreciate it! You've thrown me over the top and I'm just going to break down and purchase the E4cs when I do finally make the purchase. Having used the 5Pros I think I'm going to probably end up liking the E4cs for all the reasons you ended up choosing them, though we'll see. All the little things you pointed out with the 5Pros is exactly what I would point out as the negatives. Once again, thanks.. you've made my decision that much easier!

Feb 8, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 7
I actually just went ahead and ordered Westone UM2s since everyone seemed to be out of the Shure E4c/E4g in black and I didn't want anything BUT black if I were to get those. Can't believe I broke down and spent the extra $100, but hopefully the quality is right up there if not better then the E4s!

Feb 8, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dux
The E4 is detailed and balanced. The build quality and ergonomics deserve high marks as well. It is comfortable and stays in really well while exercising, and I'm still playing around with this, but it seems that the bone conduction can be further reduced with the deep-insertion triple flange tip.

The 5Pro also has an excellent sound; however, I find that when compared to the E4, the 5Pro is less detailed and has greater quantities of base. The quality of the E4's base is superior, however. On complex pieces of music, the 5Pro sounds a bit "muddy" when compared to the E4. With the E4, you can hear every instrument, every note, every voice in such a way that you can follow the melody, harmony, anything - it's "quicker" (which may be a function of decay time?). The E4's base is energetic and accurate, but does not overpower the mids and highs like the 5Pro's can do at times.

That is an uncommonly good overview of the differences. I made the same comparison, and I agree with you completely. Earlier I also had the opportunity to try the full Shure line-up, and I settled on the E4c. The E3c is less reliable on the high end, and earphonesolutions.com had a great price on the E4c. I suppose my taste runs more to detail than to bass extension, and that's why I have never fallen for the dual driver models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back