Questions about Zen and Karma
Oct 1, 2003 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BeeEss

100+ Head-Fier
...well, the Zen and Karma MP3 players, that is.
rolleyes.gif

I need a way to carry around a bunch of music, say at least couple hundred CDs. The situation is that I only spend about 2 nights/week at home, the others being at my SO's, friend's, parents, etc, and keeping my entire CD collection in the car just isn't feasible. I am thinking that I need at least 40GB.

There are some things that complicate my decision. One is that my main computer is an IBM X-series laptop (again, I'm mobile) which I love to death, but it doesn't have an optical drive, which means that I need to be able to copy files to the player from my desktop (which I will essentially dedicate to this purpose) when I am home or from my work computer, my SO's computer, my friend's computer, a school computer, and so on without keeping my entire music collection on each of the respective machines. Essentially, when I buy a CD, no matter where I happen to be, I want to be able to rip it and copy it over, then delete the files I created in the rip.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to two choices, which are the Nomad Zen (not NX) - because they have released a 60GB version (for only $399, I might add) and the Karma 40.

The disadvantage to the Zen is that apparently I have to have some sort of utility to move the files to it; ie it doesn't just show up as a HDD. That is fine, I think, but does anybody know how well that works in a situation like mine? I really don't like the idea of having to install a utility on every single machine I come across just to rip a CD to my player, but I could do it if necessary. Any suggestions on what program would work best? I suppose I could get a small portable CD drive to interface to the Thinkpad, but that kinda defeats the small and light goal I'm going for. Plus, I would really like if I could get all these MP3's off my various HDD's to free up the space.

The disadvantage to the Karma is that it doesn't have a remote. I know this may seem minor, but what would be absolutely ideal is if I could have a remote clipped to the outside of my bag, plug in some cans for the walk/ride to class, then all I have to do when I get to the car is just unplug the cans and plug in the car stereo without skipping a beat or having to take the player out of the bag. Does anyone know if there is a remote avaliable for the Karma or if Rio is planning on making one available soon? I really like the idea of the network functionality of the Karma - that is megacool.

If anyone has a better suggestion as to a player that would satisfy my requirements, by all means let me know. Thanks in advance for the help!

--Bee

Oct 1, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by BeeEss
I have pretty much narrowed it down to two choices, which are the Nomad Zen (not NX) - because they have released a 60GB version (for only $399, I might add) and the Karma 40.

BeeEss, if you are looking to get a Zen 2.0 60GB, I'm afraid that they are no longer for sale. Here is a paragraph from the Creative Lab's newsletter I received in mid-September:

A few months back, we gave you the scoop on the NOMAD Zen 60GB, only available in the Creative Online Store. This limited-edition product literally flew off the virtual shelves, creating backorders for most of its short-lived shelf life. Now it is completely sold out! Don't worry...you can see if one of your friends will sell you theirs...or you can check out the latest NOMAD Zen NX products, available in 20GB and 30GB capacity, with affordable pricing, smaller size, and the same great features as the original Zen-only better. Check out the latest NOMAD Zen NX products and see if they fill your MP3 playing and data storage and transfer needs.

What you could do is buy a Zen 2.0 20GB and upgrade the hard drive yourself. I hear it's a pretty simple process. Otherwise you could go to E-bay and buy one that had been upgraded by someone else. If you go that route, make sure you get a unit with the latest firmware (1.11.01) or you'll run into a track limit problem.

Rumors are that a new Zen Xtra is on the way. It looks like the Zen NX and will also have a removable battery, but the screen is larger and it will come in higher capacities (40GB? 60GB?).

eek.gif

Oct 1, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 3
I think I smell an Iriver IHP-120 in your near future. I realize it's only 20 gigs, but it shows up as a HD on PC's unlike the Karma. I'm not sure about the zen thing so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back