Questions About Ultrasone Edition 9 Headphones
Feb 16, 2007 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

artears

100+ Head-Fier
I posted this one in the very long Ultrasone thread, however noone answered so far and it has been 4 pages after my post. I think it got lost somewhere, and this is very much possible considering the rate at which the thread grows. So I decided to start another thread just to get some answers. Following is basically what I posted over there (you can still see it at page 75
smily_headphones1.gif
):

"After going through most of the thread, I can say that I am interested... Well, especially in Edition 9s
eggosmile.gif
wink.gif

I have a few questions though: I love the sound of HD650s, when they are amped properly. I find their presentation close to speakers and that is why I am interested in Edition 9s. I read comments about Edition 9's big soundstage and some comparisons with R10s, which I listened to as well and I completely understand why they are called "The King". Probably you see where I am getting
wink.gif
, but let me clarify . R10s were amazing since they provided that full, speaker like sound (and I am not mentioning the details and clarity and so on). HD650s are good in that regard when amped properly, but not in the same league with R10s to my ears. If Edition 9s are close to R10s in their presentation of sound, if not better, then this seems like a good deal. So, can I get that full, speaker like sound from Edition 9s? Can they replace my R10 dreams, which for financial reasons, I cannot fulfill in the near future?

I have another question about amping: Did anyone try Edition 9s with Hornet or Raptor? What are your comments? Do they benefit a lot from amping? Are they easy to drive?

Any comment is appreciated."

As I said above, I am wondering the answers to those questions and I would really appreciate any comment... Thanks.

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by artears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted this one in the very long Ultrasone thread, however noone answered so far and it has been 4 pages after my post. I think it got lost somewhere, and this is very much possible considering the rate at which the thread grows. So I decided to start another thread just to get some answers. Following is basically what I posted over there (you can still see it at page 75
smily_headphones1.gif
):

"After going through most of the thread, I can say that I am interested... Well, especially in Edition 9s
eggosmile.gif
wink.gif

I have a few questions though: I love the sound of HD650s, when they are amped properly. I find their presentation close to speakers and that is why I am interested in Edition 9s. I read comments about Edition 9's big soundstage and some comparisons with R10s, which I listened to as well and I completely understand why they are called "The King". Probably you see where I am getting
wink.gif
, but let me clarify . R10s were amazing since they provided that full, speaker like sound (and I am not mentioning the details and clarity and so on). HD650s are good in that regard when amped properly, but not in the same league with R10s to my ears. If Edition 9s are close to R10s in their presentation of sound, if not better, then this seems like a good deal. So, can I get that full, speaker like sound from Edition 9s? Can they replace my R10 dreams, which for financial reasons, I cannot fulfill in the near future?

I have another question about amping: Did anyone try Edition 9s with Hornet or Raptor? What are your comments? Do they benefit a lot from amping? Are they easy to drive?

Any comment is appreciated."

As I said above, I am wondering the answers to those questions and I would really appreciate any comment... Thanks.

There's been a lot of activity concerning the Edition 9's on this thread:
The new toy finally arrived...The best Christmas gift ever!!!!
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215138

Go give it a visit!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbritton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's been a lot of activity concerning the Edition 9's on this thread:
The new toy finally arrived...The best Christmas gift ever!!!!

Go give it a visit!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

I know, I know, I read the thread
smily_headphones1.gif
, however I could not find the answers to my questions and I did not want them to get lost at somewhere in another thread
biggrin.gif
. I know there was mentioning of a big soundstage, but R10 comparisons were more in the comfort parameter rather than sound. Sovkiller said "the R-10 is my favority and my dream headphone, and honestly the closest that have gotten my heart like that is the Editions, that now have a place in my heart...not as comfy, but good as sounding!!!!". At some other post, he said that Edition 9s have as much detail as R10s and they have a huge soundstage. I would like to hear the details in that comparison. I remember reading a review from superman's ears saying that "edition 7s do everything better than R10s", but again not any details about that, I know he is in love with HF-1s. There have been also some members, who thought that Edition 9s are not worth their price. So, I could not find the real answers to my questions. I would like to see/read a comparison with R10, focusing on the soundstage and full, surrounding sound of the R10s. For amping, I do own a Hornet and I am considering a Raptor, so those will the amps that I will be using, if I ever buy Edition 9s.

Looking forward to comments
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by superman's ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@artears

HD650 and UE9 sound very different.
R10 and UE9 sound very different.

Saying R10 and UE9 have a big soundstage does not make them sound the same. No other headphones sound like R10. R10 are unique.

Hmm, that was the answer I was afraid of
smily_headphones1.gif
. Ok, but I definitely remember you making the comment that Ultrasone edition 7s make everything better than R10s. Yeah, I wondered in which thread I read it and I just found what you said. I am quoting:

Quote:

Originally Posted by superman's ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update 11-10-2006
===============

The Ultrasone Edition 7 came in my house and I am fascinated as I was and still be by the Grado HF-1. Of course, both are very different!

I was missing the 'King' R10 more than I thought - till the first session of listening with the Edition 7. Sorry 'King', but the Edition 7 can do all better - except WEARING COMFORT.

Considering that Edition 7s and 9s are the same, your comments can be applied to Edition 9s as well. Did you change your mind about Edition 7s being better than R10s? How do you describe the sound of Edition series? I am not looking for the same presentation of the sound, I can guess they will not be the same, however I do want that full, surrounding effect, as if everything is coming from a set of nice speakers. I hope this clears things up.

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 112
This may sound not at all like what you are looking to hear... but the only way I can see you getting the information you are looking for is to buy an Ultrasone product - either the 750 to hear their closed, titanium-coated driver, intending to send it back if you like the way it sounds - and that audition steels your nerves enough by satisfying you adequately that you like the S-Logic and those drivers enough to take a chance on the Edition 9s - OR buy the Edition 9s now and be capable of sending them back to the store you bought them from (may be a restocking fee, but so-what - treat them as if they were rental charges for having the luxury to really try them on for a month!)

That's my thinking. No amount of discussion here will be as comforting or as informative for your ears as actually having the headphones in your possession. This is a very expensive headphone, even from Northern Sound and Light, and you will have to hear them to be able to make the comparison on a value scale for yourself. I do not recommend A/B comparing them with what you already own till you have gotten really used to the totally different sound signature the Ultrasones will present to you.

Just my 2 cents there, of course!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 112
artears - I was in the exact same boat and got absolutely no where.
Opinions are like...you may have to take the plunge or not.
You could also wait and audition them at a meet or something.

Fact: Everyone hears things differently.

Over time opinions can sometimes change.

To an extent, I agree w/tbritton : audition a 750 or 2500 first.
Also, if you can recall, in that very same review, it was stated that the 2500 faired favorably to an Edition 7, which was stated to sound more favorable to an O2 -- sans comfort; however, don't take that a gospel... Give the Trusones a try, but for your insurance, make sure whomever you buy from has an outstanding return policy.

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 112
I have both a re-cabled HD 650 and the Edition 9. The clarity and crispness of the sound with the Edition 9 is extraordinary. I didn't appreciate the Sennheiser "veil" before, but it is obvious compared to the Ultrasone.They are more comfortable also. I am using a MPX3 Slam SE amplifier to power the headphones.

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #12 of 112
After reading those comments, I think I better wait for an opportunity for an audition. It will be a wiser choice considering the high price tag of Edition series.

However, I cannot keep myself wondering how the Editions sound like, after reading tbritton's comments about being the sound signature totally different than what I have heard so far, or VaughnH's comments about the clarity and crispness of the sound with Edition 9s. Are there any owners of Edition series around Chicago area, who would be interested in a mini meet
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif
???

@superman's ears: I assumed when you said unique, you meant words like incomparable, matchless etc. etc. I apologize and I don't mean any disrespect, but saying both "R10s are unique" and "Edition 7s make everything better than R10s and you would not miss them" sounded like a conflict to me. Could you kindly tell what you feel when you listen to Edition series and R10s? When I said speaker-like sound, I meant the sound giving you the feel of a big soundstage, as if you were hearing everything all around your head coming from every direction. HD650s give me this feeling when amped properly. I can point out the locations of the instruments and feel like I can see the band playing. But, yeah there is a but, to me, although they are very nice cans, HD650s are not comparable with R10s. This is how I felt. I hope this clears things up.

@ all who replied:
I really appreciate all the comments made so far. Thanks a lot.

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 112
Quote:

....Saying R10 and UE9 have a big soundstage does not make them sound the same. No other headphones sound like R10. R10 are unique....

They are simply different, and mainly due to the different presentation of the music, that is correct, but the UE9 is as unique as the R-10 is. (Well the UE7 aside which is basically the same headphone...)

Honestly I do not miss a single bit of the R-10 sound listening the UE9, I would rather say the opposite, to the point that my hunt for a good pair of R-10 is completelly over. Simply I have found my sound regardless of the price...(I would like to own both though)
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Of course that you have to sacrifice something for $2K or more less, that is comfort...but honestly I will rather order another pair of UE9 instead of paying $2K or more to get just more comfort, and not that they UE9 are horrible neither, but the R-10 is unique in the comfort dpt (same as the little brother the CD3K)

Other than that I found the UE9 at the same level of performance of "The King"....and as a side note, I'm not even being fair with the UE9, as I have heard the R-10 out of systems and amps that are considered as far better than the one I'm using right now with the Edition 9, when I receive my new RPX-33 the fight will be more balanced at least, and I will be ready to compare again both and let's see...or better let's hear...
tongue.gif

About the HD650, balanced, unbalanced, properly amped or not, is not even close in details and resolution....period...
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #14 of 112
Ultrasone got me puzzled.

Flagship is the prettiest phone on earth.

Every other phone in ther line is 100% ugly

Hopefully, they get their sh!z together and don't waste that low EMF emission technology.

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #15 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone got me puzzled.

Flagship is the prettiest phone on earth.

Every other phone in ther line is 100% ugly

Hopefully, they get their sh!z together and don't waste that low EMF emission technology.

I know what you mean, at first I thought they were hideous and completely discarded them from consideration. But actually, they sort of grow on you. And the sound *more* than makes up for it. In fact, I think they do look cool if you look from the top down at the headband. I like how the center of it is white and has the model number in big letters.

Then again, the point is to put them on your ears, at which point you can't see them unless you have a 360 degree field of vision...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back