Questions about UK VAT and custom tax. I purchased some stuffs from the US.
Nov 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

maudemaude

Head-Fier
Recently I bought a used and a new items from the US, there should be no custom on them but I still need to pay some VAT. 

The problem is I don't know whether the parcels will arrive first then I pay the VAT or the parcels will be stuck at UK custom without informing me until I contract them?

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 5
If the parcel is delivered via Parcelforce then normally you will receive a letter from them asking you to pay the VAT that they have already paid on your behalf. They will also add a small fee to cover their costs(?)

But then again you may get lucky and not be charged anything
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
If the parcel is delivered via Parcelforce then normally you will receive a letter from them asking you to pay the VAT that they have already paid on your behalf. They will also add a small fee to cover their costs(?)

But then again you may get lucky and not be charged anything
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks,

I only know that they are sent via USPS (The United States Postal Service) Priority Mail & 1st Class Mail and have no idea which company would handle the parcels in UK, maybe Royal Mail?

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Then Royal Mail or Parcelforce will likely deliver. Small items will likely be delivered via Royal mail. As they are basically the same company the same rules will apply.
However smaller items have more chance of creeping through customs!

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Then Royal Mail or Parcelforce will likely deliver. Small items will likely be delivered via Royal mail. As they are basically the same company the same rules will apply.
However smaller items have more chance of creeping through customs!

Many thanks, nigeljames

May I ask one more question?

Is there a chance that the parcels got stuck in custom and if so what can I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back