Questions about the Zune Pass
Sep 25, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #16 of 36
Just a question:

Since the music is disabled if your subscription runs out, does that mean that one needs to be connected to internet to listen to the music (so it can check whether you are subscribed or not) or is it enough to just connect every time it bills you?

Sep 26, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #17 of 36
I purchased a Zune 4GB on ebay two days ago and upon its arrival, I will be subscribing to the Zune Pass and posting a follow up. In the mean time, I downloaded the Zune software and visited the Marketplace to get an idea of what is available. It has a huge selection of music. I hope most of what I want to download is available with the Pass. As far as the software goes, it will take some getting used to as I use and very much like iTunes.

Sep 26, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #18 of 36
Wish I could use it, but not available in Canada. I've got some xbox live points waiting to be used since I don't buy much on the xbox marketplace. The Zune Pass is something I'm looking forward to try beacuse I've never had a music subscription before. I'm used to itunes and ipods.

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by serpico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wish I could use it, but not available in Canada. I've got some xbox live points waiting to be used since I don't buy much on the xbox marketplace. The Zune Pass is something I'm looking forward to try beacuse I've never had a music subscription before. I'm used to itunes and ipods.

Read this guide made for Canadians or any international user:
An International Zune User's Guide - Thoughts Media Forums

Read the full forum post

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a question:

Since the music is disabled if your subscription runs out, does that mean that one needs to be connected to internet to listen to the music (so it can check whether you are subscribed or not) or is it enough to just connect every time it bills you?

No you don't need to be connected to the internet to listen. You just need to sync once a month so it can check that you are still a paying subscriber.

Sep 27, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased a Zune 4GB on ebay two days ago and upon its arrival, I will be subscribing to the Zune Pass and posting a follow up. In the mean time, I downloaded the Zune software and visited the Marketplace to get an idea of what is available. It has a huge selection of music. I hope most of what I want to download is available with the Pass. As far as the software goes, it will take some getting used to as I use and very much like iTunes.

Yes it is different than I-tunes but once you use it for a while it is pretty intuitive. Also, once you subscribe you can see what is free with the Pass and what is not…it is a lot.

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #22 of 36
My plan to get a Zune pass must be delayed by about two weeks because the Zune 4G I purchased from an ebay seller arrived dead. The screen remained black even after my attempts to charge it from the wall via a USB charger adapter and from the USB port of my computer. The device simply cannot be turned on. Fortunately, it is still under warranty and Microsoft is sending me shipping materials to send it back for repair or replacement. This is not a disappointing start to my Zune experience.

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read this guide made for Canadians or any international user:
An International Zune User's Guide - Thoughts Media Forums

Read the full forum post

Hi Ricardo,

I've tried this, but unfortunately you now need a US credit card to purchase the Zune Pass, which I don't have.
frown.gif

At least I can now connect to the marketplace and subscribe to podcasts and listen to 30 second song clips or, even better, browse tunes on the marketplace through Zune. This is quite fun when I'm lying in bed at night and want to check out some new music.

Can't wait for the Zune Pass to come to Canada.

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

My plan to get a Zune pass must be delayed by about two weeks because the Zune 4G I purchased from an ebay seller arrived dead. The screen remained black even after my attempts to charge it from the wall via a USB charger adapter and from the USB port of my computer. The device simply cannot be turned on. Fortunately, it is still under warranty and Microsoft is sending me shipping materials to send it back for repair or replacement. This is not a disappointing start to my Zune experience.

I'm sure that you checked this, but it's worth a shot. Is your Zune unlocked? Check the slider on top of the unit.

Oct 1, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

What a bummer was it brand new? If it was it probably never had an inital charge so a hard reboot was not any help right? Here is the hard reboot trick if you ever need it.

Hard Reboot: If you have a Zune 4 GB, Zune 8BG, or Zune 80GB, immediately press and hold the Back button Back at the same time as you press the right side of the Zune pad and the Play/Pause button. Continue to hold these buttons until the Zune device restarts and you receive the following message: “Clearing contents. Please wait.”

Well hopefully MS will make good on it quickly. Just keep saying…all good things come to those who wait...

...at least that is what I keep telling myself watching the stock market these days.
wink.gif

Cheers,

Oct 1, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #26 of 36
Thanks for the suggestions gents,

I charged it, unlocked it and tried everything to get it show me anything other a dark screen. Tribalambient, I also tried the hard reboot per your suggestion with no success. Darn, I was really looking forward to using the Zune at the gym. I anticipate that Microsoft will take care of the problem because it is under warranty and the shipping materials are on the way to me. I will keep you all posted once I getting a working Zune and subscribe to the Zune Pass.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #27 of 36
Just an update on my Zune experience so far. The new Zune 4G I purchased was dead on arrival. Zune replaced it under warranty and I received the new device today. This device appeared to work at the outset. When I connected it to my computer it was recognized by the Zune software and I was instructed to update the firmware from v.2.5 to v. 3.0. It began to update, but in the process the device went dead again and could not be rebooted by any means. I again spoke to customer service and I will be sending the device to the service center for repair or replacement. This is more than a two week process. So far my Zune experience has not gone well. I will keep at it and hope to one day have a Zune that works as it was intended.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #28 of 36
I think your USB ports are not powering it and the devices are dying mid-update or mid-syncing.

Did the battery icon start moving while it got plugged to your pc ?

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #29 of 36
^x2 the battery bar on the zune should have a little lightning in it.

Another thing about the Zune pass. I don't like the idea of my whole music library being held hostage by Microsoft. If you start using the Zune pass, when you stop using it, every month paid will be lost.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #30 of 36
The USB ports are powered. I confirmed with Dell that they can power a portable hard drive and either one will charge my ipod. Also the battery indicator on the Zune did have the lightning sign; it was charging and when I began the process the Zune's battery was three quarters full. Microsoft acknowledged that I again received a defective device. This is getting old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back