Questions about the Sony NW HD3
Jan 5, 2005 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

sunflower

New Head-Fier
Hi

After reading all the posts on the HD3.
I am considering buying one, however afew questions remain.

1. Does it support MP3 VBR?
No mention on the tech spec on the Sony UK website. Although I found the Japanese website
http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/P...00411/11-1130/
which seems to suggest that it does.

2. Can you create playlists?

Finally it seems that Sonicstage is universely hated. I used to have a Creative Zen Xtra, and with Notmad explorer, see
http://www.redchairsoftware.com/.

Much better than the Creative software bundle.
I emailed them to ask if they would develop a version for the HD3, they said maybe in the future if they were enough potential users.

So I suggest any HD3 users to email them with the same request!

Thanks.
3000smile.gif

Jan 5, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 25
you can sort of make playlists, one way to do it is to right click an album in my library and go to 'edit album' and then move tracks around. Then, transfer them and on your HD3 click mode to get to 'groups' and te tracks will appear as they are in 'my library'

Jan 6, 2005 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphinx89
you can sort of make playlists, one way to do it is to right click an album in my library and go to 'edit album' and then move tracks around. Then, transfer them and on your HD3 click mode to get to 'groups' and te tracks will appear as they are in 'my library'

Just click the button to create a new album.
image28rh.png

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 25
1. Does it support MP3 VBR?
In my experience, yes... but with frequent problems in the sound. A sort of noticeable grain comes into the sound at times when using VBR. No overt sound burps so far, but just a nagging sensation that something isn't right.

Kind of. Very cumbersome creation of effectively what is called Groups (virtual folders in other words) allow you to define a custom playback order, but it is a really crappy implementation. You'll know this once you've pressed the Create/Edit My Compilation Album button and if you've used something like the iPod.

Jan 6, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Kind of. Very cumbersome creation of effectively what is called Groups (virtual folders in other words) allow you to define a custom playback order, but it is a really crappy implementation. You'll know this once you've pressed the Create/Edit My Compilation Album button and if you've used something like the iPod.

You're saying that creating a playlist is a hassle, right? Is there at least somthing like smart playlists?

Jan 6, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 25
When you say virtual, is it like gmail and labels the song saying its in the folder, but not copying it? or does it copy the song? What a waste of space...

Speaking of Gmail, i've got some invites. I'd like to give something back to this community for being so helpful!

Jan 6, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 25
Oliver, no. The aforesaid manual, crappy playlisting is all you get. There is a recent added separate list which you can pull up.
Xell, the songs aren't copied (at least I think not).

Jan 6, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 25
I asumme from your knowledge that you have one. Would you suggest it? Over an iRiver 120 or 320? How about over a Rio Karma?

All i hear about the HD3 is the lack of this and that... no one has been truely happy with it!
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xell
I asumme from your knowledge that you have one. Would you suggest it? Over an iRiver 120 or 320? How about over a Rio Karma?

All i hear about the HD3 is the lack of this and that... no one has been truely happy with it!
biggrin.gif

That's not true - I have it and think it's fantastic. Haven't regretted buying it for a second.
icon10.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xell

biggrin.gif

I have one, and I've owned the iRiver H1 / trialled H3, had iAudio M3, Creative Zen, iPod, etc. I'm writing a review and using it more to get my opinions about it in order. Right now I'm split down the middle... great hardware, worst usability.

Jan 6, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shattered
That's not true - I have it and think it's fantastic. Haven't regretted buying it for a second.
icon10.gif

Where've you been? That's the first post i've seen like that
tongue.gif

There is something abot the NW-HD3... I really like the size, battery life and Sony. However, last time i bought an MP3 player was 1 1/2 years ago... bought the 3G iPod when it first came out... Complete crap! Seriously, they are rubbish. Falling apart!

So, more people post positively about the HD3! I want the support behind me to get one next week!
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shattered
icon10.gif

Agreed, i like it a lot, and i dont mind about the playlist thing, as on my HD3 i have it in groups view all the time, as it shows the folders and files as they appear in windows explorer. Sonicstage isnt a problem, and i found it very easy to use. Much easier than itunes strangely. My dad took about 2 hours to transfer his first songs to his ipod when he got it, and there was an initial problem of his PC not recognising it, therefore not picking it up in itunes. I had songs over to my HD3 in about 5 minuites. Very easy to pick up, and i will only use it about 2-4 times a month anyway, so its not a problem. the hardware is good, and i dont find the useabilty a problem at all.

but hey, thats just me

Jan 7, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 25
Thanks 2 all for the advice.

The HD3 seems to have afew distinct problems.

1. Roppy VBR support.
2. Lack of true playlists.
3. Crap software.
4. Limited volume.

Hmm, I wonder how long would it take for Sony to sort them out.
All can be corrected by software and firmware updates.

Should I wait and get an ipod 20GB instead??

rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back