Questions About the Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD
Aug 16, 2006 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Cousin Patty

Headphoneus Supremus
Ive been wanting to move into the world of tube headphone amplification but I dont really have the money for something like the Singlepower line of amps. Ive got a pair of RS-1's and Ive been hearing about the Mapletree amp around the forums. I like the vintage styling of the Mapletree amp as well. My question is how does the Mapletree Ear+ compare to something like the PPX3 or MPX3 in their stock forms? Is the Mapletree a good point of entry into tube headphone amps? Is it MORE than just a good point of entry? How will it synergize with the K701? Thanks

Aug 16, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 13
I have no experience with the Singlepower amps, and the only tube amp I've tried (and own) with the RS-1 is the Ear+ HD. It's pretty much the most recommended amp for the RS-1/2 on these forums, and I must say it sounds brilliant. I asked a similar question before I bought mine, and the outcome was very much in favor of the Ear+ HD (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=186604).

Aug 16, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 13
Different strokes for diferent folks. I love the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD with Grados. I do not see any other tube amps within $400 sounding better.

By the way it sounds great with the K701, K340, and HD600.

Aug 16, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 13
I really enjoy mine as well. I just received some NOS tubes for rolling. Sometimes synergy means more than stats. I have a feeling that the Mapletree is that way with Grados. I even had Dr Lloyd wire mine more specifically for the RS1s. I will say that it also drives my AKG 501 with pretty good authority. I think its a great amp that offers simplicity, beautiful sound. It does not sound tubey IMHO. I have had some tube amps in my 2 channel system that epitimized the stereotypical "tube" sound. Its a focused amp with good extension both ways. It is tight and detailed. Plus it can be a pre-amp.

Aug 16, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 13
I have and Ear++ HD and it sounds spetacular with my RS-1s. The sound is very smooth and non fatiguing. Yet sound is very alive and energized. Instruments and voices have considerably more depth and boby than the solid state unit I was using before. What is even better is that you get all that with great detail and frequency extension at both ends. The bass is powerful and robust with inner detail clearly heard on acoustic bass. I was concerned about a tube amp having a noisy background. I can tell you that the Ear+ has a silent backdrop that is as good as my newer NAD equipment. I replaced my old 1040b NAD preamp with the Ear ++ driving a NAD 2155 amp (2nd system). Huge improvement. When comparing them back and forth it was like finally plugging in the lights of a Christmas tree with the Ear +. The acoustic guitar I was listening to had a lit from within quality and purity the NAD simply could not match. Not to mention depth.

Blake

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like a great amp. I'd have to sell my Aria and my K701's to pay for this amp so it's kind of a hard decision to make. Not to mention I'd be without an amp while the new one is being made and shipped. I'm definitely going to consider it though.

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 13
Anyone try the GS-1000 with the Mapletree? I wonder if the synergy is Grado or just RS-1?

mrarroyo I know you prefer the RS-1, but preference aside did you notice any synergy?

Aug 17, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 13
i just sold one and had been using it primarily with the hf-1. the synergy is there...it did not sound as good (still very nice, though) with the sr200, but i prefer a drier, more analytical amp with the sr200 (like the PRI, PRII). for a source i would recommend the CI VDA1/VAC1 combo (modded, preferably)...it's a liquid combination and sounds fantastic with grados, IMO.

Aug 17, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 13
I wish the Tax department would hurry up with my tax return...
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Anyone try the GS-1000 with the Mapletree? I wonder if the synergy is Grado or just RS-1?

mrarroyo I know you prefer the RS-1, but preference aside did you notice any synergy?

Tough to answer because as you said I disliked the GS1000. I can say that Mapletree is a great amp and every Grado I have thrown at it (RS-1, RS-2, HF-1, GS1000, etc) sound better than through othe amps.

Aug 17, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Tough to answer because as you said I disliked the GS1000. I can say that Mapletree is a great amp and every Grado I have thrown at it (RS-1, RS-2, HF-1, GS1000, etc) sound better than through othe amps.

I went through a wave of upgraditis over the past few days over excitement with the PS-1, but now am settling on maybe having to keep the RS-1 and GS-1000 (cable upgrade to come). I think the "wood" is my preference (I'll know after I hear for sure) and clearly understand how the RS-1 gives something the GS-1000 can't, so I think the Mapletree will be my next purchase.
biggrin.gif

(My ideas are subject to change on a dime)

Aug 17, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 13
Anyone compare the Mapletree to the Melos SHA-1? How much better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back