Questions about the Kenwood HD30GB9
Jul 15, 2007 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

Sethie

Head-Fier
Due to impulse, I feel like getting the Kenwood HD30GB9. So before I go and waste about $500, I would like to know from owners out there if it's worth the plunge?

I'm always ordering this from pricejapan and am wondering if any of you did. It would be a pain if I can't figure out how to change the language to English and if pricejapan is worth buying from.

I still have my working Creative Zen Micro which still works and hasn't had any problems. So I'll need some serious reasonings to go and buy the Kenwood before the Micro dies.

p.s. I also heard that the warranty on Kenwood is abit dodgy outside of Japan? I live in Australia and does anyone know if the warranty would work here?

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 94
Yeah, I am also wondering what the best seller is.
- Ebay: Versand Japan
- Price Japan
- bluetin
- Audiocubes

I believe only two people on head-fi have the HD30gb9, it is a unpleasant risk....

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 94
Hello. I ordered the Hd30GB9 from PriceJapan a few weeks ago for $400. Paid via Paypal. I didn't receive any confirmatory e-mail from them which was somewhat concerning so I would suggest you save and or print out the "Payment received" page from their website.

In any case, about 48 hours after ordering I received an e-mail from DHL indicating that I should expect a package. About 36 hours after that and the new HD30GB9 was at my doorstep. All in all, about 4 days from ordering it to having it delivered from Japan to Philadelphia.

The receipt I had hoped would be e-mailed was packed in with the shipping list and is needed for warranty purposes.

Overall, PriceJapan is the cheapest but bare in mind that you will need to send the product to Kenwood in Japan at your own expense for warranty. Audiocubes offer their own one year warranty although this will also entail shipping out your DAP.

As far as language settings etc. on the player....the very first question it asks on boot up is what language you'd prefer. The included instruction booklet is primarily Japanese with a small section in English. The pdf version of the manual includes a slightly more substantial English section that pretty much describes the functionality of the player. You really shouldn't need this as the controls are pretty intuitive. Finally, the Kenwood Music Application for music transfer is also in English and can be installed from the player when it is plugged in via USB.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

El Duderino

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Duderino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello. I ordered the Hd30GB9 from PriceJapan a few weeks ago for $400. Paid via Paypal. I didn't receive any confirmatory e-mail from them which was somewhat concerning so I would suggest you save and or print out the "Payment received" page from their website.

In any case, about 48 hours after ordering I received an e-mail from DHL indicating that I should expect a package. About 36 hours after that and the new HD30GB9 was at my doorstep. All in all, about 4 days from ordering it to having it delivered from Japan to Philadelphia.

The receipt I had hoped would be e-mailed was packed in with the shipping list and is needed for warranty purposes.

Overall, PriceJapan is the cheapest but bare in mind that you will need to send the product to Kenwood in Japan at your own expense for warranty. Audiocubes offer their own one year warranty although this will also entail shipping out your DAP.

As far as language settings etc. on the player....the very first question it asks on boot up is what language you'd prefer. The included instruction booklet is primarily Japanese with a small section in English. The pdf version of the manual includes a slightly more substantial English section that pretty much describes the functionality of the player. You really shouldn't need this as the controls are pretty intuitive. Finally, the Kenwood Music Application for music transfer is also in English and can be installed from the player when it is plugged in via USB.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

El Duderino

Could you tell us more about it's soundquality and difference(in soundquality) if compare to your already in use DAPs is that significant?.

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 94
I ordered mine from Audiocube.
No problems but I believe that they are more expensive.
El Duderino is correct: the language barrier is not an issue.
I believe that Assorted had no troubles with warranty when he needed it.

Is it worth the plunge? IMO: absofknlutely. Magical, wonderful, sublime SQ.

El Duderino: How are you liking yours? I have seen no review or first impressions post?

Jul 15, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 94
I did some rough math. No garantees!
Pricejapan HD30GB9 + AC adapter + DHL: 475 dollar chance of tax unknown.
Bluetin HD30GB9 + AC adapter + airmail: 448 dollar and 20% chance of tax.
Audiocube HD30GB9 + AC adapter + Shipping and chance taxes unknown!!!: 499 dollar.
All three give warranty, but you have to send it in yourself, I don't know how paypal works yet, but I believe that is going to add too.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 94
you really don't need the AC adaptor. i charge mine through USB 85% of the time. i am always near a computer. if you decide to purchase a white version, you can only purchase it through pricejapan, but it takes a little while longer.
as for the player itself, it sounds great with both pairs of headphones i have, E500's and a newly acquired DD5's from Larry.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 94
Why would audiocube be the best?

I added the AC adapter because bluetin and audiocube sold it with the kenwood, but pricejapan excluded it. 30 buck is pretty much for such a thing not? It's not anything special right, because you can get universal AC usb adapter like this for much less.
USB-AC.jpg

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #13 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked this in another post, but since I did not get an answer are these drag and drop or compatible with a Mac?

They're UMS so they're drag and drop. However you have to do something called a library update with the media app if you want them to display on your dap properly.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're UMS so they're drag and drop. However you have to do something called a library update with the media app if you want them to display on your dap properly.

Thanks... That would probably be enough of a reason to stay away for me. I have spent too much time getting my itunes library just the way i like it.

I would just like to get a nano sized player that does not need an amp and doesn't sound like garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back