Questions about the HD-555
Apr 27, 2008 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chuckdpe1

New Head-Fier
Howdy gang. I've been lurking hear for a few weeks and came up with some questions I haven't been able to quite get answered (yes, I know about the 'search' function.) I mainly listen to headphones at work. My department just moved their working area this week and it's incredibly chaotic now since we have 4 different departments all sharing the same area. To top it all off, I'm ADHD and I'm crawling out of my fraking skin trying to stay focused so I can do my job!

Okay, that being said, I have a few questions about the HD-555s in that regard. First off, will an iPod have enough output to power them reasonably well? Second, how are they with sound leakage? Not only do I not want a whole lot of sound coming in and wrecking my focus, I also don't want my coworkers complaining when I'm listening to NIN, NWA, and ICP (yeah, yeah *hangs head in shame*.) I previously owned a set of Grado SR80's and I know the sound leakage from those were pretty bad. I loved those damned things, but after 2 1/2 years of constant use the wire coming out of the Y splitter on the left channel started going bad.

So, in summary, work's chaotic, need to focus, don't want to piss off coworkers. Is sound leakage a major issue with the 555s and will I be able to power them reasonably well without having to spring for an amp? Thanks in advance for all the help!

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 9
1) Yes an Ipod will power it fine. The HD555s are very loud even when you set your Ipod at relatively low volumes
2) Yes, they will leak a lot of sound, both in and out (not quite as bad as the SR80 though). You might want to look at some semi-closed or closed cans instead

Oh, and as a side comment, you could try recabling your SR80s

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 9
Sounds fine coming out of an iPod. Sound leaks in easily, just a few db lower which seems it wouldn't work for you. In the same price range there is the Equation RP21 and Audio Technica ATH-ES7 which are sealed.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 9
did you give up on those sr 80s? im sure a cheap recable (doesnt have to be any fancy super silver cable) would put them right back in business. just an option in stead of decommissioning the sr 80s.

the 555s leak a LOT of sound. the ad700 is a nice cheap alternative.

there is, however, a really really nice woodied 555 in the sale forums by QQQ iirc. (he basically removed the grill from the 555 and put wooden cups there and recabled it) i thought id mention it just in case you wanted to stick with the sennheiser sound and wanted a kickass looking pair of headphones.

**not in any way affiliated with QQQ who is selling the phones.**

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 9
I gave a buddy of mine my SR80s. He mainly uses headphones only at his computer and he's a bit more skilled with electronics wiring than I am. It took him less than 15 minutes to get the cable back in working order. Seeing as how he's never owned a pair of cans that cost more than $15 I was more than happy to let him hang on to them as an introduction to how damned good the world of quality headphones can treat a person.

I might swing out to Best Buy tomorrow to see if they'll let me sample the Audio Technicas. I'd love to get some Beyer DT770s but from what I've read I wouldn't have much luck driving them off the stock iPod. Regardless, thanks for the advice!

Apr 27, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 9
The HD555 do leak, but I would hardly characterize them as leaking "a LOT". I use a pair at work and I have NEVER had anyone say anything to me about my music being bothersome, and my four cube-mates are within 7-10' of my desk. For me, the HD555 are perfect work headphones for the money.

I had to choose between a Grado SR60 and the HD555 for work (which was what I had on hand), so I did a test. I set my amp to my normal listening volume, removed the phones from my ears and put them on a roll of paper towels, then stepped back a few feet to see how loud they were. It was apparent immediately that the Grados were too loud to be used at my office. The HD555 was not nearly as bad. Do they leak? Yeah, but from the way you describe your workplace, I highly doubt that anyone will notice.

The bigger problem may be trying to block out your co-worker's antics without cranking your music to ear-splitting levels. In that case, you may be better off with a closed headphone, unless just the mere presence of music at a reasonble volume is enough to take your mind off of them. If so, you could very well get by with the HD555.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back