Questions about the Grado GS1000s?
Feb 17, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #31 of 65
Each time I see the GS1000 thingy, a couple of guys jump out from the hedges with their "not suitable for rock" song. I completely disagree. The GS1000 is great for rocking out, with good sense of sound wind from guitar amplifiers, more than very good timbre and texture, punch and speed. The RS1's are too intimate for rock IMHO. I just don't get it why these higher midrange-rich headphones are considered for rock. Prior to making justice to the GS1000 I liked the RS2 with nu metal, rock, rap core, etc. And I still do but having money for the right equipment the GS1000 is a no-brainer.
Most bad things people report about the GS1000 is the result of unsuitable amplification. They just need correct amp pairing, so all you need is follow recommendations from satisfied GS1000 users.
I don't recommend the Black Dragon cable for them. I compared side by side stock GS1000 with a BD recabled one and I prefered the former. I could hear all those microdetails floating in the ear while the Black Dragon made all those subtelties disappear. The sound is a bit darker with impressions of great clarity, the bass is thicker and smooth like glass but the ambience texture is lost. Choose what you want.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #32 of 65
I thought that the GS 1000 was designed as a "High End" audiophlie phone and as such will come into its own based on proper amplification and source. Is my assumption wrong and am I off base?????/
triportsad.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Each time I see the GS1000 thingy, a couple of guys jump out from the hedges with their "not suitable for rock" song. I completely disagree. The GS1000 is great for rocking out, with good sense of sound wind from guitar amplifiers, more than very good timbre and texture, punch and speed. The RS1's are too intimate for rock IMHO. I just don't get it why these higher midrange-rich headphones are considered for rock. Prior to making justice to the GS1000 I liked the RS2 with nu metal, rock, rap core, etc. And I still do but having money for the right equipment the GS1000 is a no-brainer.
Most bad things people report about the GS1000 is the result of unsuitable amplification. They just need correct amp pairing, so all you need is follow recommendations from satisfied GS1000 users.
I don't recommend the Black Dragon cable for them. I compared side by side stock GS1000 with a BD recabled one and I prefered the former. I could hear all those microdetails floating in the ear while the Black Dragon made all those subtelties disappear. The sound is a bit darker with impressions of great clarity, the bass is thicker and smooth like glass but the ambience texture is lost. Choose what you want.

Too intimate for rock? You realize rock music is an amplified art form. Have you been to a rock concert and left the building with your ears ringing for 2 days? For me there is no such thing as too intimate for rock.

For me, the GS1000s were a huge Grado mistake as they are very, very hard to properly amp and lose that classic Grado on stage slam that is IDEAL for rock and the more slam in your face the better.

With the GS1000s, I felt like I was at the snack bar getting a beer while the concert was on.

But heck that's just my opinion.

I would really recommend listening to both and let your ears guide your wallet!
icon10.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #34 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too intimate for rock? You realize rock music is an amplified art form. Have you been to a rock concert and left the building with your ears ringing for 2 days? For me there is no such thing as too intimate for rock.

Where the heck is the connection between ear ringing and intmacy?
confused.gif
I attended a concert after which I had ringing in the ears for three days, the fourth day was the day I was hearing well again. I wouldn't say it was an intimate, on stage kind of experience.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't want to repeat this any more and I don't even try to do it using headphones. This is why I try to skip "flat" or midrange-oriented headphones as they provoke me to crank up the volume and cause ear fatigue after some time.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #35 of 65
Quote:

Where the heck is the connection between ear ringing and intmacy?
confused.gif
I attended a concert after which I had ringing in the ears for three days, the forth day was the day I was hearing well again. I wouldn't say it was an intimate, on stage kind of experience.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't want to repeat this any more and I don't even try to do it using headphones. This is why I try to skip "flat" or midrange-oriented headphones as they provoke me to crank up the volume and cause ear fatigue after some time.

Rock music is supposed to be in your face/intimate. It's an AMPLIFIED form of music that is supposed to well...rock you (I hope I don't owe Queen a royalty for this). The GS1000s don't rock me...plain and simple.

It's not like classical where you want to hear where the violins and trumpet are, there are freakin huge speakers and amplifiers that just smack you in the face and make you feel like the band is right in front of you full of energy.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #36 of 65
Cheaper to go HF-2 for rock, you can play em straight out of DAP and any kind of amplification- not picky..... GS100 are the better cans BUT right choice in amp is a must wich can lead to an expensive system.......but well worth it if you are a serious music listener.....

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

Rock music is supposed to be in your face/intimate. It's an AMPLIFIED form of music that is supposed to well...rock you (I hope I don't owe Queen a royalty for this). The GS1000s don't rock me...plain and simple.

It's not like classical where you want to hear where the violins and trumpet are, there are freakin huge speakers and amplifiers that just smack you in the face and make you feel like the band is right in front of you full of energy.

These are your private needs in terms of rock and you shouldn't project them onto other people. I like feeling when the violin solist is in front of me (full of energy prefered) and I don't care if you think the classical fans are middle to last row kind of people. I like front rows and this is why I like headhpones so much. The GS1000 is great for classical as well but the PS1000 is even greatest for both genres just due to more in your face foreground placing but their merits don't end in this place and it's not the thread to explain it further. They key is presentation diversity from album to album.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

These are your private needs in terms of rock and you shouldn't project them onto other people. I like feeling when the violin solist is in front of me (full of energy prefered) and I don't care if you think the classical fans are middle to last row kind of people. I like front rows and this is why I like headhpones so much. The GS1000 is great for classical as well but the PS1000 is even greatest for both genres just due to more in your face foreground placing but their merits don't end in this place and it's not the thread to explain it further. They key is presentation diversity from album to album.

I always said that I preferred rock this way. Maybe it's the difference on how many of us prefer to listen to rock in North America.

The GS1000 / PS1000 are more of a middle row headphone which is great for many genres of music (classical, jazz), but again FOR ME (and many, many others) the on stage slam of the RS1s/HF2s can't be beat for rock.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #39 of 65
Quote:

With the GS1000s, I felt like I was at the snack bar getting a beer while the concert was on.

That's exactly what I felt like with the GS1000 too! Well put.

I think what we can all agree on is that the GS1000 puts you further back in rows than the RS series does. It all comes down to personal preferences then.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #40 of 65
Quote:

I always said that I preferred rock this way. Maybe it's the difference on how many of us prefer to listen to rock in North America.

Interesting. Do you suggest in the US all the audience gathers close to the stage in the concerts? I saw it pretty similar to European events when showed on TV or youtube.
confused.gif
I think we just have different needs. I like standing close but I choose the GS1000. It's that simple.
wink.gif

My friend's son is a drummer in a rock band and he said the GS1000 were the best rock headphones he'd ever tried, and he knew the RS1's and many other hi-end headphones pretty well, i.e. ED9.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #41 of 65
Quote:

Interesting. Do you suggest in the US all the audience gathers close to the stage in the concerts? I saw it pretty similar to European events when showed on TV or youtube.
confused.gif
I think we just have different needs. I like standing close but I choose the GS1000. It's that simple.
wink.gif

My friend's son is a drummer in a rock band and he said the GS1000 were the best rock headphones he'd ever tried, and he knew the RS1's and many other hi-end headphones pretty well, i.e. ED9.

I'm suggesting that there could be cultural differences. I have many relatives in Macedonia and I found their preferences with rock vary quite a bit from my friends and I here. That's all.

I have been to many rock concerts: Paul McCartney, AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, Rush, Black Sabbath, David Gilmour, Roger Waters, etc... and the best cans that I found that gave me the same feeling and energy were the RS1s/HF2s.

I would say the majority of the threads and posts I've read on this forum would agree with this statement.

I did also prefer the Denon D7000s with rock over the GS1000s.

If you mention gathering around the stage, then the RS1s give you a better approximation of this. As mentioned before, the GS1000s put you in the middle row.

You are certainly entitled to your preferences...that's cool (we all hear things differently).
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #42 of 65
Quote:

I'm suggesting that there could be cultural differences. I have many relatives in Macedonia and I found their preferences with rock vary quite a bit from my friends and I here. That's all.

I have been to many rock concerts: Paul McCartney, AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, Rush, Black Sabbath, David Gilmour, Roger Waters, etc... and the best cans that I found that gave me the same feeling and energy were the RS1s/HF2s.

I would say the majority of the threads and posts I've read on this forum would agree with this statement.

I did also prefer the Denon D7000s with rock over the GS1000s.

If you mention gathering around the stage, then the RS1s give you a better approximation of this. As mentioned before, the GS1000s put you in the middle row.

You are certainly entitled to your preferences...that's cool (we all hear things differently).
beerchug.gif

I see what you mean. This is interesting stuff. I've never been to a rock concert. Have no idea what the sound would be like there. I can only imagine.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have to rely on the recordings.

I personally don't like the Grado 'in your face' signature sound for rock. The tendency for stridency is too much with this genre. I much preferred my D5000's and now, my Ed8's. My SR325is and RS2's are very good for the recordings of some rock artists, usually the classic recordings, like Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin. My Magnums also do incredible justice to Metallica's 'Black Album'. It's therefore a varied experience rather than a general type of recommendation from where I sit as one who grew up with listening to rock/metal recordings only.

However, I now far better understand the Grado reputation for being the cans for Metal.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #43 of 65
I agree about the RS1 sound signature (extremely upfront mids and peircing highs) to be suitable for most rock/metal. I heard the gs1000 only once and they sounded less farward and much more polite,but still retained the grado signature from what I remember... but I didn't audition them long enough in order to give an opinion.

I really want to upgrade my grado experience,and really thought of saving money for the PS1000 (god..they are beautiful),I also really want to have a full size grado headphone in my collection. but they are really too expensive and it seems like It will take me forever to save for them. in the other hand,the GS1000 are much more easy on the wallet,but everybody say that the PS are way better. a question...do the PS1000 have more prat than the GS? what are exactly the difference and will I be happy with the GS1000? also, how much different in "prat" there is between the RS1 and the GS1000 for rock/metal listening?

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #44 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see what you mean. This is interesting stuff. I've never been to a rock concert. Have no idea what the sound would be like there. I can only imagine.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have to rely on the recordings.

I personally don't like the Grado 'in your face' signature sound for rock. The tendency for stridency is too much with this genre. I much preferred my D5000's and now, my Ed8's. My SR325is and RS2's are very good for the recordings of some rock artists, usually the classic recordings, like Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin. My Magnums also do incredible justice to Metallica's 'Black Album'. It's therefore a varied experience rather than a general type of recommendation from where I sit as one who grew up with listening to rock/metal recordings only.

However, I now far better understand the Grado reputation for being the cans for Metal.

The D5000s/D7000s are incredible cans for rock! And I prefer them still to the GS1000/PS1000s for rock music.

I found the SR325is a Grado mistake at the top of the Prestige Series (way too hot and shrilly treble) and the SR225i are a better headphone. The RS2s were nice for jazz and some rock, but for me not up to the RS1 (or even HF2) standard for rock.

Before you write off Grado's I would really listen to the RS1s and some Led Zeppelin or Green Day first...you might be surprised.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #45 of 65
Quote:

The D5000s/D7000s are incredible cans for rock! And I prefer them still to the GS1000/PS1000s for rock music.

I found the SR325is a Grado mistake at the top of the Prestige Series (way too hot and shrilly treble) and the SR225i are a better headphone. The RS2s were nice for jazz and some rock, but for me not up to the RS1 (or even HF2) standard for rock.

Before you write off Grado's I would really listen to the RS1s and some Led Zeppelin or Green Day first...you might be surprised.

I may well take your advice on the RS1's.
smily_headphones1.gif
Been toying with the thought, but I still have unfinished Senn business. It'll either be the HD800, T1, or RS1 next (recabled ot a longer cable--- 6' isn't enough, or is the cable longer?). Don't quite know for sure. My more pragmatic side is saying, it aught be none.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back