Questions about the Fiio x3 2nd Gen DAP
Dec 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wildcatman

New Head-Fier
I have just ordered the Fiio x3 2nd GEN DAP

I dont have the player yet but have a few questions I hope
someone can help me with. I have also ordered a 128 micro SD card.
I have read the information about the player at the Fiio site.
Ok Here we go.

Does the SD card need to be formatted to FAT 32 to put music
on the player?

Can I format the SD card to on the player?
In other words Will the player format to Fat 32 for me?

If I have read correctly the SD card has to be in FAT 32
if you want to upgrade the firmware?

And I assume to add music to the player is
just drag and drop and then do an update on player.

If anyone knows of any good video or info on setup
and use of this player please add a link.
I have head the users guide at Fiio's site and it does
seem to be a bit spare.

Thank You in advance for any help.
Earl

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 9
Good choice on the X3 2nd Gen, Earl! I just got mine about 2 months ago and it's been working great. I'll try to answer your questions:

Yes, the card needs to be formatted as FAT32 and that can be done in the player. Yes, FAT32 to update the firmware. The whole firmware update procedure is pretty painless; just updated mine to 1.4 recently. In case you want more details on the firmware update procedure:

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40309&extra=

Yes, you can set the USB mode to storage in the menu and then be able to drag and drop music files onto the SD card. If you're using Windows, you can use Windows Media Player to sync playlists and files from the X3.

Not sure of any videos, but the player is fairly intuitive and easy to use. One tip that I ran across on Head-Fi is that if you press and hold the center button down, you can use the scroll wheel to adjust the volume (instead of the volume up/down buttons).

Hope this helps!

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Poocaso,
I have 1 more question about the Fiio X3 DAP.
Is it necessary to upgrade the firmware for this player for it to work?
I am afraid I might brick it during the upgrade.
Thanks Earl

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 9
Earl,

Not necessary to upgrade the firmware for it to work. Mine shipped with firmware version 1.3 and I didn't experience any issues with it. The general advice for firmware (at least when it comes to BIOS updates for motherboards) is not to upgrade it unless the new version addresses a specific issue that you're dealing with. I have bricked a few boards during upgrades, so I can definitely understand your reluctance to update the X3!

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi there,

I am looking at buying the X3 II later this year since this is in my price point.

My current player is an 8 year old iPhone 3Gs married to the Mont Blanc E12 amp and using Shure 215SE when mobile and Audio Technica ATH-MX50X when at home.

Would really appreciate some input from your side, anyone on the forum feel free to chip in,

I am listening to MP3's @ 320KBS mainly but obviously want to use the player to listen to FLAC files ripped from my CD collection.

Firstly, I anticipate a noticeable sound quality improvement stepping up from my old iPhone to the X3II, do you think the improvement will be that obvious?
If I am mobile I won't sue the E12 amp but will still use it at home with the over ears Audio Technica's, will the external amp still add to the sound experience with this player or not?
Lastly for now, can you use a 128GB card to do a firmware update or must you use a smaller capacity?

Appreciate any inputs based on your actual experience.

Thank you,

ET

Users who are viewing this thread

Back